If you are suicidal and need help, numbers to call and websites

by Violia 7 Replies latest forum suggestions

• Violia
    Violia

IF YOU ARE SUICIDAL AND NEED MORE HELP THAN THIS BOARD OR A FRIEND CAN PROVIDE

Call/email a semi-pro. There are many free sources of help on the web and the phone.

USA: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or 1-800-SUICIDE - 24 hours a day
    Australia:
    Lifeline at 13 11 14 - 24 hours a day
    New Zealand: Lifeline at 0800 543 354 - 24 hours a day

Ireland: Samaritans at 1850 60 90 90 - 24 hours a day
    UK: Samaritans at 08457 90 90 90 - 24 hours a day
    Canada: Try a number from here

Canada/Youth (under 20): Kids' Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 - 24 hours a day (anonymous and confidential - can't trace calls)
    Canada and USA / Youth: Covenant House Nineline at 1-800-999-9999 (2 pm til midnight)

Websites and other info:
    You can call The Samaritans i f you are in Ireland ( 1850 60 90 90) or the UK ( 08457 90 90 90) , . They provide "confidential non-judgemental emotional support 24 hours a day". You can contact them by email, phone, or letter, or talk to someone face to face at one of their branches.

If you are in Australia, you can contact Lifeline at 13 11 14. They are open 24 hours a day. If you would prefer, you can also try out their online crisis chat which is open from 8 pm - midnight AEST. People from New Zealand can also call Lifeline - see number above. NZ folks can also see this website for a list of helplines: http://www.mhc.govt.nz/urgent-help

If you are in the US, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 24 hours a day.

If you are in Canada, you can try this list of regional crisis lines (mainly in Ontario).
    If you are in Canada and under 20, you can call Kids' Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 (it's confidential and they can't trace your call).
    If you are in Canada and you require support in French, Suicide Action Montreal operates a bilingual line: (514) 723-4000
    If none of these are in your area, you can try searching "suicide or crisis helpline in [insert your location here]."
    If you STILL can't find anything and you need to talk to someone now, try calling one of the above lines, even if it isn't in your area.

Here are some websites that provide support and information about suicide and suicide prevention. They may also contain lists of helplines that are not listed above:
    http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/
    http://www.suicide.org/
    http://suicide.com/
    http://suicidal.com/

• Violia
    Violia

Perhaps this could be put in the links section. I would add it but I am not a mod . I know this is not a board that deals with mental illness specifically but we can't ignore the wreckage the wts has made of some of our lives. Not everyone is able to make friends and reach out to others on/off the board. Some then end up posting threads telling us they are killing themselves . This is frightening b/c we usually have no way of knowing what is going on in this persons life.

A lot of us are going to come to this board at one time or anther and do what is called "bleed all over it".

I think Cedars would be a great mod.

where can be vote?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Good idea.

• Lore
    Lore
    I know this is not a board that deals with mental illness. . .

eh?

• cedars
    cedars

Violia - Thanks for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it. However, I don't want to be a mod. I've already suggested OUTLAW as a mod, because he's on here all the time, knows the posting guidelines inside out, and seems to be on good terms with the owners and other mods. He says he doesn't want to do it, claiming he isn't patient enough, but I think it's really because mods can't get away so easily with being as outrageous and jovial as he is! I think similar reasoning applies to me. I would feel as though my hands were tied a little bit too much (i.e. with my work promoting my survey etc) if I were suddenly cast in an "enforcement" role.

Also, power corrupts, and the temptation would be there to kick off any posters who got on my nerves!!

Another good candidate might be sizemik? He's a balanced and considerate individual who I think would go about the role in a fair and responsible way.

Cedars

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

I think that we all enjoy one anothers quirks,but when someone writes that they are intending to commit suicide,thats a bit of a stretch.Ya know?

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Did that post get ,um deleted? The one from yesterday?It was disturbing,but personally,I didnt want to touch it with a ten foot pole...

• noni1974
    noni1974

I'm taking some suicide prevention course next week at school. Last semester I had an experiance with a fellow classmate who I had barely spoken to that scared me badly. She walked up to me after class and asked where she could find someone to talk to and I directed her to the counciling office on campus. Then she asked me where she could buy bullets near our school. I asked her what type of gun she was talking about, she said a hand gun. I told her I had no idea where to buy those kind of bullets. I left the class a bit confused and thinking how strange that was. I happened to see a fellow classmate a few minutes and I told her what happened and she told me to go report it to the professor. My instinct was that I should report it but I didn't know if I was the only one who found it strange or if it was really a situation I should report. I thought maybe I was taking it the wrong way until I talked to my classmate. I ended up reporting it to my professor right away and it turns out she had asked the professor almost the same thing. My professor reported it to someone and it ended up that she was made to talk to someone and it may have saved her life.

What I hope to learn at this class is what to do if it happens again or something like it. I want to be prepared next time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit