Leonard Smith, a WTS writer, tells his life story in the April 15th, 2012 WT

by alex2 1 Replies latest jw friends

• alex2
    alex2

The autobiography of Leonard Smith (known in France as brother Leonard) has been published in the latest April 15th Watchtower.

Here are some quotes from another tread (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/176069/2/Andersonsinfo-question-Who-wrote-them):

The Trinity brochure was published (89) after I left (86), but I noticed some similarities with earlier material which was produced by the French Writing dept. (especially Leonard Smith) in the early 80s (e.g. the "Divine Name" brochure, which I translated into French, although the first draft was produced by the French Writing dept. and then thoroughly "rewritten" by someone in "Brooklyn"). Same for several patristic articles into the 90s (with a lot of French quotes). — Narkissos

Leonard Smith was a real "heavy." Many writers spoke positively about his work, especially Peloyan. Maybe somehow Harry and Leonard collaborated or maybe Harry just "borrowed" Leonard's work? — AndersonsInfo

Leonard Smith was (I don't know if he's still alive) a very nice and educated person. He and his team contributed a lot of research but afaik all that he wrote was subject to discretionary "correction" or rewriting by "Brooklyn". He would find out (with certain frustration) what was left of his papers when the English issue was released, and that was the basis for French translation of course... In such cases the Writing dept. usually handed the original French text to the translators (especially for French quotations), and we could appreciate the difference. Raymond Franz told me he knew him quite well (as did another poster whom I miss, Hillary step) and had very open conversations with him the last time he came to France officially (in the late 70s). He apparently had figured out a lot of things but had set clear personal limits he would not overstep, as far as "loyalty" to the organisation was concerned. He was the Branch Committee member who was sent to deal with me when I candidly suggested to ask Brooklyn about what I felt was an impossible statement in a Fred Franz Watchtower article (as I have told before). — Narkissos

I was not very close to [Leonard Smith] because he was in Boulogne and I was in Louviers, but he was quite friendly to me down to this episode (included, actually). His coquetterie was a kind of legend among French witnesses, and in Bethel in particular; he spent most of his life in France and cultivated his British accent jealously, while insisting on being called by his first name as if it were his patronym, even on assembly programs (S. Léonard), not to sound foreign. Most JWs never knew his real name was Smith. — Narkissos

• alex2
    alex2

Here are some extracts from his life story:

I realized how much the fulfillment of my hope to live forever on earthdepends upon my loyal support of the anointed class.
    . . .
    ‘Len, if you want to be viewed by Christ as a sheep, you’ve got to support his anointed brothers, accepting their leadership because God is with them.’
    . . .
    That convention convinced me that it was my duty as a Jonadab to help the anointed class to the best of my ability in the preaching work.
    . . .
    There were about 30 members in the London Bethel family at that time, mostly young single brothers but also several anointed brothers, including Pryce Hughes, Edgar Clay, and Jack Barr, who became a member of the Governing Body. What a privilege it was to support Christ’s brothers by working as a youngster under the spiritual oversight of these “pillars”!—Gal. 2:9.
    . . .
    In addition to spiritual enrichment from the school, I benefited from fellowship with mature Christians. One of my fellow students, Lloyd Barry; one of the instructors, Albert Schroeder; and John Booth, overseer of Kingdom Farm (where Gilead School was located) later became members of the Governing Body. I treasure the loving counsel that these brothers gave me and their fine example of loyalty to Jehovah and his organization.
    . . .
    During that time, I got to know such pillars as Milton Henschel, Karl Klein, Nathan Knorr, T. J. (Bud) Sullivan, and Lyman Swingle, all of whom once served on the Governing Body. It was an enriching experience to see them at work and observe their Christian ways. My confidence in Jehovah’s organization increased a hundredfold.

. . .

There, I had the privilege of working with branch servant Henri Geiger, an elderly anointed brother.

. . .

It was a privilege to help in transmitting to the French-speaking brothers throughout the world the rich spiritual food provided by the slave class.—Matt. 24:45-47.. . .

I have had the privilege of periodically returning to world headquarters in New York. During those visits, I received good advice from different members of the Governing Body.

. . .
    We other sheep are also aware that we will not always have Christ’s anointed brothers among us on earth. I count it, therefore, an inestimable privilege to have been closely associated for over 70 years with many of the anointed —gratefully holding on to the skirt of a Jew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit