What the Society expects of its members

by Xander 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

I was reading through some old quotes at the quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com site, and had something of an epiphany. It is simultaneously revealing and revolting, and I'd like to share it.

What the Society expects of its members

The Society expects its members to live and *die* for their teachings [yes, everyone here knows it - the Society EXPECTS you do die for their teachings if necessary].

And, at the same time as you lie there dying for their beliefs, expects you to accept (?joyfully?) the possibility that those beliefs might be completely invalidated in a few years after you're dead by 'new light'.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • Kep
    Kep

Yeah, that sucks BIGTIME.

Totally a slave to them.

• Xander
    Xander

Yeah, but how can any rational person accept it?

I mean, how can they claim they have the word of god, and be so certain of it to require your loyalty to the death, but reserve the right to 'not fully understand' the scriptures at the time?!?!

--George Santayana
  • concerned mama
    concerned mama

That is why we outsiders get so baffled by it all. I guess the mind control is beyond our comprehension.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Since when did being rational matter to the watchtower.
    Forget about rationality, logic, common sense. The watchtower's focus is on obediance, humility and submission. It's just satanic to think outside of the watchtower.

What kills me is that if you ask any dub whether they are open minded and they will answer 'yes' convincingly. And at the same time they are the "masters of ignorance." Whenever they come across an issue which is irrelevant to the watchtower's agenda or one that doesn't have a simple answer which the watchtower has already addressed, they dismiss it as not important and just turn a blind eye to the whole matter.

• butalbee
    butalbee

Slave to the grind.

To me, it didn't seem to have as much to do with loving God, but to be obedient and loyal to this organization.

• butalbee
    butalbee

DK--I couldn't had said it better myself. 101% true.

The only real truth that I ever learned was that it was all really a lie.

• Xander
    Xander

What kills me is that if you ask any dub whether they are open minded and they will answer 'yes' convincingly.

You know, that's true. They *would* say that. And, you know what the WTBTS says about that?

*** w83 1/15 22 Exposing the Devil's Subtle Designs ***

Avoid Independent Thinking

Or, how about...

*** w83 1/15 27 Armed for the Fight Against Wicked Spirits ***

Fight Against Independent Thinking

... Yet there are some who point out that the organization has had to
    make adjustments before, and so they argue: "This shows that we have
    to make up our own mind on what to believe." This is independent
    thinking. Why is it so dangerous?

Or, maybe...

*** w86 4/1 31 Questions From Readers ***

Approved association with Jehovah's Witnesses requires accepting the
    entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those
    Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah's Witnesses.

I think there would be a whole lot more unhappy j-dubs if they actually practiced what *all* of what they preach.

Of course, that won't stop the elders from forcing people to their deaths over current beliefs that, again, might change in a few years.

--George Santayana
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Xander,WBTS expects its members to die for rules they can`t keep themselves.Evil bastards!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit