Balanced Life?

by ShawnS 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ShawnS
    ShawnS

My husband who was raised as a Witness & has recently considered getting baptised brought home a "Personal Study Schedule". This study schedule was given to him by an Elder and clearly states at the top "DO NOT POST TO ANY ELECTRONIC SERVICE SUCH AS THE INTERNET" - that alone makes me wonder - why are they hiding it??

Anyway, the schedule breaks down every day, clearly states how much time you should be spending reading the bible & JW literature each day through the week. The total hours in a week - slightly over 8.

What bothers me about this situation is the following: A normal person works 8-9 hours a day then there is commute time. In my husbands case he is away from the house 11 hours a day. You sleep at least 8 hours a night. You spend an hour each day on personal care, showering, brushing your teeth, using the restroom, getting dressed etc. Probably another 1.5 hours on daily stuff like eating breakfast & dinner with your family, washing dishes, putting away your laundry etc. If you add all that up, it leaves my husband with 2.5 hours out of any given 24 hour period to spend time with our children, help with homework, attend the occasional soccer practice, help get the little ones bathed & ready for bed, read them stories before bed etc.

Is it me or does 8 hours a week seem CRAZY and an unrealistic expectation?

Sure there is the weekend to read but we also have to clean house, mow the lawn, general upkeep on our home & try to make up for the lost quality time we missed during the week with our children. For those of you who will say going to the meeting on Sunday is "quality family time"...that's a joke...getting a 5yr old & 3yr old to find a "talk" interesting isn't possible. I also do not believe the "talks" on Sunday are generally appropriate for all ages. When an Elder is giving a talk and words in the talk such as RAPE & ADULTERY & INCEST are used....sorry but I don't think those are words that should be used in the presence of small children. A 5yr old should not be exposed to those words & have to ask their parents afterwards.."Mommy what is RAPE?"

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Read this post by Marvin Shilmer, then you'll know why the real reason why the WTBTS wants to keep it's little sheep so busy:

Why the unrelenting pressure for more and more organized religious activity?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah!! 00Dad beat me to it!!!

Just for the heck of it, here's another link to the same thread...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/221357/1/The-Reason-for-pushing-more-and-more-work-onto-JWs

• ziddina
    ziddina

And of course, they don't want the schedule posted online, because then it would become well-publicized how much time the Watchtower Corporation wants the average "interested person" to sink into studying, not just the bible [though using the Jehvovah's Witness bible], but also the Watchtower Corporation's publications...

• ShawnS
    ShawnS

I'd be happy to post the schedule if I could figure out how to do so.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Can you scan it? Then save it to a pic saving website such as photobucket and then post it here.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

You can also PM me with a private link or anonymous e-mail address and I'll give you mine. I can strip any identifying tags for you and post to a anonymous webhost.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No, this isn't balanced--and it should be posted.

What is balanced is if you can put aside some time, if you so choose, to read parts of the Bible. This time should be flexible. If you are in a rush, skipping it is an option. If you wish to read more, do so. In the end, you are going to make time for it if you get value out of it. If you don't, you are going to end up dropping it--and you should, since you would be wasting your time pursuing something you don't get value out of.

• ShawnS
    ShawnS

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o546/ShawnS4/

Link attached for copy of schedule.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit