Atheist Quote of the day

by whereami 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• whereami
    whereami

“Christians have put up with a theory of salvation that has at its core the idea that God requires the sacrifice of his own son so that human sin can be cancelled. 'There was no other good enough to pay the price of sin,' we will all sing. The fact this is a disgusting idea, and morally degenerate, is obvious to all but those indoctrinated into a very narrow reading of the cross.”

Giles Fraser

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

. . . at its core the idea that God requires the sacrifice of his own son.

This sure makes Christianity look like a cult of human sacrifice.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Atheist quote? the Giles Fraser who wrote the piece from which it is snipped is the Rev Dr Giles Fraser, until recently Canon of St Paul's Cathedral, London.

He is very much on the liberal wing of the church and is a frequent contributor to the early morning, "Thought for day" slot on BBC radio 4. I doubt whether he would

describe himself as an atheist, but he is definitely in a minority within the church. More like him are desperately needed!

• whereami
    whereami

Sorry RC, got this from here http://atheistweb.org/qotd/1768#respond

• whereami
    whereami

Here's another good one:

“The church has always been late. We were late on slavery. We were late on civil rights. And now we're late on this [the acceptance of gays].”

Jay Bakker

• Rob Crompton
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Rob, Giles Fraser seems like a thinker and a man of principle, I admired his resignation over the mishandling of the "Occupy" thingy at St. Pauls.

Still a great quote though ! The sacrifice of "Jesus" makes no sense once a bit of research has been done in to "Original Sin" and the Book of Genesis etc.

He is still a little too much "establishment " for me, anyone who contributes to R4's "thought for the day" just simply has to be, but I bet his are a good head and shoulders above the norm.

• steve2
    steve2

I was always uncomfortable with the notion that a belief system (("Christianity") that claimed to be an advance over the Mosaic law code had as its central teaching the readiness of a "Father" to allow his son to be violently sacrificed to save others. Talk about a big time re-enactment of the routinized violence of the Mosaic law code. But to be fair, "Christianity" simply adopted the ethos of its day which was pretty much still giving creedence to ancient blood sacrifices by the use of "scapegoats".

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

I like Robert Pirsig's statement in Lila that "when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

• designs
    designs

'The earth is what we all have in common' W. Berry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit