Bible Edition/Version = question/help please

by mind blown 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mind blown
    mind blown

Hello,

From reading many posts I feel confident in asking this question, as I feel many of you are very well read regarding certain topics.

I would like to get a decent version of the bible, however, I don't know which one to get. It's obsious the WTS version is out of the question for me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) is one of the best available at present, but all versions have their good and bad points. I would suggest that you avoid versions which make a lot of use of paraphrase which often sarcifices meaning for the sake of readability. (such as the Good News Bible) These are OK as a second version to have but not as your only study version.

A very useful website is: http://www.biblegateway.com/ where you can look up passages in several different versions.

• NCC-1701
    NCC-1701

I like the English Standard Version.

If you purchase the Study Edition, they give you free access to the online edition which has all the text, notes, articles and search capabilities.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I liked the NIV (New International Version) which was a Gideon Bible.

• Ding
    Ding

New International Version (NIV)

Revised Standard Version (RSV)

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

are all good versions.

You can even get parallel versions where several of these are displayed side by side.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I really like the NIV. I find it easy to read. If you want to compare versions before you buy one try this website..

http://biblos.com/

• Isidore
    Isidore

Revised Standard Version (Catholic Edition)

Jerusalem (1966 edition)

Douay Rheims

Make sure that you have a version that has all 73 books, not just the 66 included in the Protestant versions.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Thank you for your responses........I will check these out.

I guess I'm looking for a good translation due to the NWT being "compromised" as well as one easy to understand.

Thanx again!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

You could buy the most accurate Bible available and it still wouldn’t be much use. Without going back in time to the 1 st century and reading the Bible in its original Hebrew and Greek, much of the word play and the meaning of numbers is lost to us. For example the numbers of loaves and fish that Jesus provided- had a significance that no means virtually nothing to us- but was important 2,000 years ago. Parts of songs and plays are printed out in our Bibles like ordinary verses- with nothing to show what they are. It’s just frustrating….

Much of the Bible seems to be very amusing- they were skilled scribes using words as weapons against each other, as in the writing of the four gospels....

• Fernando
    Fernando

Some great tips above. One might add another name/website www.bible.cc (tons of translations, features, and commentaries).

Maybe a bit off topic, however the FRAMEWORK within which one reads the Bible makes a tremendous difference.

Religionists read it in a religious framework such that the Bible becomes pro-religion and anti-everything else.

The Bible is a spiritual book which roundly condemns religion/ists (Pharisees) for their self-righteousness and pretentiousness.

The Bible comes alive and is interpreted on the fly (by the Holy Spirit) for any believer who has made a point to uncover and YIELD to the full unabridged gospel message that it contains.

A great starting point is to compare Matt 23 (religion, externalism and self-righteousness) and Rom 3 and 4 (IMPUTED righteousness via faith in the good news about Jesus).

The "good news" is a personal MESSAGE to each of us from the "God of Abraham". There is nothing that the "god of religion" hates more than the full unabridged gospel message. The "god of religion" does however not fear an obfuscated and truncated gospel message.

The Bible refers to the "good news" or gospel around 152 times. More than half these are by Paul.

The Watchtower truncates the "good news of God" down to a single ingredient - the FUTURE restoration of PHYSICAL paradise in FUTURE. They first remove "the good news about Jesus" leaving only the "good news about the Kingdom". Next they truncate the "good news about the Kingdom" to the "message of restoration". Then they truncate the "message of restoration" to the single ingredient mentioned before. In this process the apostate Watchtower religious organisation and its ruling clergy class (Pharisees and Sanhedrin) have deleted at least 29 key ingredients of the gospel message!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit