Facebook mandatory timeline- good or bad?

by moshe 8 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Just curious about what others think about it. I never set up timeline, as I felt it was too intrusive. Facebook is now telling us they will set up your timeline whether you like it or not- everyone is getting it.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Personally, I hate the new format. So far I've been able to keep the old and hope it stays that way.

• dm6
    dm6

Its bad .. imo.

But the good news is, there are lots of grease monkey scripts out there so you dont have to have it.

FOr example, the new facebook chat bar is huge, ugly and takes up a lot of screen, well i have never used it!

Just use google my friend....http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/107159

• moshe
    moshe

Mandatory Timeline

On Tuesday, Paul McDonald, a Timeline engineering manager, said on Facebook's blog:

Last year we introduced timeline, a new kind of profile that lets you highlight the photos, posts and life events that help you tell your story. Over the next few weeks, everyone will get timeline. When you get timeline, you'll have 7 days to preview what's there now. This gives you a chance to add or hide whatever you want before anyone else sees it.

He points out that users can learn more about the new features "by taking the quick tour available at the top of your timeline. If you want to get timeline now, go to the Introducing Timeline page and click "Get Timeline." Or you can wait until you see an announcement at the top of your home page."

If you think you can outsmart Facebook, by not publishing your Timeline during the review period - you're wrong.

"If you decide to wait" - er, stall - "your timeline will go live automatically after seven days. Your new timeline will replace your profile, but all your stories and photos will still be there."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't see any notice of a timeline policy when I login to FB. Frankly, I barely use it b/c I am always aware my privacy may be compromised. I write junior high school yearbook and short notes out of an etiquette book. It is so bland.

If they have this new timeline policy and they give me notice, I will be furious with them. How do they know how often I access FB? They act as though they own the people who use FB rather than providing a service.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    They act as though they own the people who use FB rather than providing a service.

As far as they're concerned, they do own you (at least, everything you do on their site). They provide a product (information about you) to their customers (advertisers). When you remember that, the things that Zuckerberg does to Facebook users makes sense!

• moshe
    moshe

I decided to delete my account, I post infrequently anyway.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

bad.. bad bad... super bad .. to clunky for me and how long till the next upgrade.. hard to keep up with.. I love it, won't delete.. keeps me in touch with my daughter, and family.. but I do less and less with their stuff.. partly why i'm here .. better posting

It could be their undoing... LOL ..

late

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

If it's mandatory, which I haven't read anywhere, all my photos I share with the family will be deleted. Privacy wise, I've heard a lot of negative regarding it so I would be very cautious with any photos I post there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit