Misquotes in WT literature- esp Reasoning from the Scriptures

by WildeLover 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

hola a todos

i am compiling a some misquotes dossier to present to one of my friends on JWs and misquotes. i think it will wake him up to the lies of the WTS. however, i am focusing in on misquotes in the reasoning book. i have the one on the Cross that i came across here on JWN.

however, i have trawled the web and here too and have not come across other misquotes in that publication. anyone come across any other misquotes in the reasoning book?

i am creating a file on reasoning book, trinity brochure and also the latest creation/eveoluton booklets. i know they are all out there with the misquotes on the web but as i am verifying for myself that the misquotes are in fact misquotes, then i cant be accused o being duped by you clever apostates, ;-)

thank you

WildeLover

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

This is a good one, there are so many: http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/part-3-quotations-and-research-in.html

The problem with the "reasoning" book is that so many of their references date back to the 1800's! Hard to get your hands on stuff that old.

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

thanks LostGeneration. :-)

will check it out and incorporate it into my research!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There was one fairly recently on education. Unfortunately for the WT, they quoted a magazine tht is distributed quite well in the US. Reading the two articles side by side reveal the way the WT cherry picks comments. Does anyone remember that issue?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Reading the two articles side by side reveal the way the WT cherry picks comments

That was a Time magazine. I managed to find a copy, but it has mysteriously disappeared

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Jehovah’s Witnesses, Higher Education and Misrepresentation

by Barbara Anderson

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/133804/1/JWs-Higher-Education-and-Misrepresentation-by-Barb-Anderson

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Instead of sending pages of material that will have him tossing the whole lot in the bin without thinking about any of it, you could try targeting a few excellent examples that he would want to be able to explain to you. One or two might be enough to start with.

Choose examples that are easy to find, preferably on his own bookshelf, or computer.

Don't explain your conclusions, he's been taught not to listen to opposers. He has been taught that the JWs are the teachers and have all the answers, so make him talk his way out of the problem with no help from you.

Ask in a way that makes him really want to give you an honest answer.

If he uses faulty logic don't tell him. Ask him a question that gets him to realise what he has done. Don't fall for distractions.

Good luck

Chris

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

These two are from "Life - Did it Get Here By Evolution Or By Creation" (1985) . Reproduced here but I have seen the source material

The Quote:*** Creation book 18 2 Disagreements About Evolution -- Why? ***

12 Darwin acknowledged this as a problem. For example, he wrote: "To suppose that the eye . . . could have been formed by [evolution], seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."

The Source:Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species, 1859, p. 133:

"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science. Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory."

The Quote:*** ce 39 4 Could Life Originate by Chance? ***

5 At this point a reader may begin to understand Dawkins' comment in the preface to his book: "This book should be read almost as though it were science fiction."

The Source:Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene, 1976, p. ix:

"This book should be read almost as though it were science fiction. It is designed to appeal to the imagination. But it is not science fiction: it is science. Cliché or not, "stranger than fiction" expresses exactly how I feel about the truth."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit