Having Faith in the Bible

by william draper 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

The fact is that we know that God allows these things to happen ;

Actually we DONT know that as a fact, you are simply stating it is so which dosent make it a fact at all.

which brings up another point ,

No it dosent since your first point wasnt actually a point and what you move onto isn't coherently connected by any supported conclusions but lets take a look anyway...

where do we find the best explanation as to why God allows these things to happen .

I assume you were going to tout the bible as answer to this strawman but you never even attempted to knock this particular strawman down. Instead you ignored it and went right to this:

I don't like this , but what can I do , what can we do , possibly as a people we are not doing enough of the right things , we allow so much corruption in our society , and then we look at God and say . . . we don't like what you do , and we are ourselves not doing right and making excuses for our selves .

Ahh the coup de grace! Its not gods fault but our own! We allow this so its our fault.... The problem is YOU were addressing the supposed superiority of the gods morality as expressed through jewish fairy tales. You cannot start with that premise and then switch it to 'oh look how bad we are' when it gets shot full of holes. Let the good lord stand on his record alone.

• steve2
    steve2

where do we find the best explanation as to why God allows these things to happen .

As if the "best explanation" equals the truth about what happened.

• azor
    azor
    William Draper. Check out the YouTube channel Evid3nc3 and click on playlist and listen to his deconversion story and then I would like to hear your thoughts.
  • DJS
    DJS

I've avoided all of William's OPs and commentary to this point, because it violates one of my prime directives to become engaged in theist/scripture discussions. Like others of you I don't believe he is really trying to defend the bible. I think he is just getting us ready for the real reason for his arrival, which is:

To show us all his amazingness and awesomeness in knowledge of all things scripture. I'm expecting him to start telling us that he and only he has the correct interpretation of prophecy and to ignore all those who went before him, such as the Dark Lords. They all got it wrong; William has it right.

He seems to fit the profile of those arriving - and exiting - before him. Delusional narcissism is the thing that drives them. Anyway, I will continue to stay out of all of his OPs and the religious, scriptural, god discussions as always until he starts telling us that HE has the correct interpretation of all things scripture, prophecy and a direct conduit to the big girl in the sky.

• Terry
    Terry

api.ning.com

What is called "Bible knowledge" is really ignorance disguised as knowledge.

The amount of time which has been wasted by humanity, laboring under the false premise of 'divinely revealed wisdom,' is appalling.

I'm reminded of a fellow named Cruden.

In the mid-1720s, Alexander Cruden took on a self-imposed task of Herculean proportions, Himalayan tedium, and inhuman meticulousness: he decided to compile the most thorough concordance of the King James Version of the Bible to date. The first edition ofCruden's Concordance was published in 1737. How could he have possibly completed such a project? Every similar undertaking before or since has been the work of a vast team of people—in recent times made incomparably easier by computers. Cruden worked alone in his lodgings, writing the whole thing out by hand. The KJV has 777,746 words, all of which needed to be put in their proper place. Cruden even wrote explanatory entries on many of the words—in effect, including a Bible dictionary as a bonus. The word “Synagogue,” for example, prompted a 4,000-word essay.

Furthermore, Cruden’s day job was as a “Corrector of the Press” (proofreader). He would give hawk-eyed attention to prose all day long. Then he would come home at night, not to rest his eyes and enjoy some relaxation, but rather to read the Bible—stopping at every single word to secure the right sheet from the tens of thousands of pieces of paper all around him and to record accurately the reference in its appropriate place. He had no patron, no publisher, no financial backers: his only commission was a divine one.

Cruden’s Concordance has never been out of print. Some hundred editions have been published, many of which have been reprinted untold times; shoppers at a popular online bookstore today can choose from 18 different in-print versions of Cruden’s.

Cruden was institutionalized for madness four times in his life. His behavior was often bizarre.

On another occasion, Cruden had apparently gone to break up a brawl but ended up spending the best part of an hour admonishing disorderly soldiers not to swear while periodically whacking them on the head with a shovel. He also would propose to women with whom he had established no romantic bond (one such intended he had not even met). Being unable to take no for an answer, he would then turn himself into a persistent nuisance, if not a stalker.

Above from:http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-good-insane-concordance-maker

• JWINQUESTION
    JWINQUESTION

Hello WD,

Greetings! :) I haven't posted in a while but just want to say thank you for opening up this topic. It is sad how some people are insulting your post. I had some insult my first post as well. As one who is in the middle between Atheism and Theism (although slightly more towards now to Atheism) just keep doing research. I for myself am doing research as well digging deeper in the bible as well as Atheism. Even if I do become full fledge Atheist, I would still respect your belief in the bible. My advice is to keep doing your research. If you have more to explain your reasons in faith in the bible, I won't mock or turn you down. Again thanks for opening up this thread. I would like to hear more from you. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit