Computer Help?

by sandy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

Hi all:

Can anyone suggest a safe and free website to help me fix high cpu on my windows system. I would be forever grateful. :)

• emanresu
    emanresu

if you have a windows pc, I suggest you first scan your computer for viruses. you can use windows website for this. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials. this is their official website so you dont have to worry about it.

another option is to download a program that checks your entire pc for problems that may be slowing it down, defragmentation and other things. I personaly use 'Advanced System care'. it has never failed me. you can get it here http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html they have a free version and one for sale. try the free version.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

High CPU utilization you mean? CTRL ALT DELETE brings up task manager, ...look for processes hogging CPU usage. (Click on processes tab, click on show all processes)

If you dont know what a certain .exe is then google it and see if it's normal or not, .. Could be just AV software doing scans, might be something more sinister.

Google search for high CPU, ...BUT, BE VERY CAREFUL OF SITES WITH MANY CLICKY BUTTONS PROMISING TO FIX YOUR PC!!!! More than likely will put malware on it or worse .... ONLY USE KNOWN SITES like Symantec if you are unsure.

Try Spybot Search and Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

• sandy
    sandy

Thanks all. I opened the task manager and saw that the cpu is costantly at 100% .

I'm trying to fix using "system configuartion" now. Thanks for the tips.

• TD
    TD

A problem I frequently see is a 'cocktail' of security products on a system that's more than three years old. Spybot, Adaware, Avast!, Peerblocker, AVG Mail Security, Zone Alarm, etc., etc., etc., etc., on and on and on.

None of the products are 'free' in terms of CPU usage.

This may or may not help, but something to check for anyway.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One thing you might check is your antivirus "update". Do you have PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus? Chances are good that its BDT Update is hogging your PCU every few minutes, forcing everything to wait until it gets through diddling around. You will have to disable BDT Update to fix that issue--it won't imperil your computer. Also, using multiple antivirus programs at once, especially if both are in real-time protection mode, can create this issue. If you use more than one antivirus, use one for real time protection and disable the other's real-time (leave it for scheduled scans, though).

Another problem is iTunes. Do you have iTunes open? If so, chances are good that it is going to hog your PCU. Between the program and its sidekick "Apple Device Manager", you will be wasting all your processor time and causing everything else to freeze up. That being the case, you will have to disable iTunes. Perhaps if enough people disable iTunes, their income will tank and they will realize that, if they continue holding computers hostage to force everyone to get Macs, they will get nothing. Besides freezing your other programs, this intentional hogging of all PC processors to coerce people to get Macs is a waste of electricity--it takes that much electricity to run the processor for nothing. Trying to contact Apple about the issue is useless, since you will not be able to reach a page allowing you to send your issue directly to them. Uninstalling iTunes is the most appropriate, and if a re-install does not solve the problem, uninstall it again for good this time (beware, Apple has a snotty attitude about this and you risk uninstalling your optical drive in the process).

One thing that can result in the PCU (and the hard drive) running non-stop, that has nothing to do with running programs, is insufficient memory. When your computer runs out of RAM, it uses part of the hard drive as RAM. This can also happen if your memory isn't being dumped when the program is finished with it, and you will have to tinker with settings to fix it (or, if you can't find the problem, spend the 200 toilet papers to have someone else fix it). Getting registry cures is also a good idea if you know which ones are reputable.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Another suggestion,

If it's a desktop and it's a couple of years old you might want to open it up and see if it's dirty. Dust it off.

Sometimes the CPU fan gets too dirty and doesn't cool the processor properly, causing it to run a bit hot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit