If you go to a Religious site what can you expect.

by designs 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

When we were Witnesses many of us made the trip to tour Bethel and the Farm and probably had a certain religiously good feeling from it based on expectation and fantasy.

Several sites around the world draw millions each year- The Basilica, Mecca, Meiji Shrine, Angor Wat, Tirumala Temple, Ise Jingu, Jerusalem or Bethlehem and more and people generally get some 'feeling' from the visit. Visitors to the Basilica of Our Lady in Guadalupe report seeing Mary Mother of God.

Did you ever visit a site and have a spiritual or religious experience or awakening.

• cofty
    cofty

If you go to a Religious site what can you expect?

To leave a lot poorer than I arrived

• designs
    designs

lol oh you got hit up by the Gypsies, I don't know how they do it but they sure get around!

• xchange
    xchange

I've been to Angor Wat, Esquipulas Basilica (Shrine of Black Christ, Guatemala), Tikal, numerous churches in Europe, Central and South America, religious sites in South East Asia and Machu Picchu and the only feeling I got - was when I was reviewing the awesome pictures I took. Damn, I clicked some fine ones! That and the architectural beauty of those places.

• designs
    designs

Went to the Vatican in 1970 and took pictures, secretly inside, of St. Peter's tomb they came out with faces superimposed, as a semi-superstitious Witness at the time I thought Jeepers Wow!

Best experience was in Sedona Arizona and watching a thunderstorm rumble in down the canyon from Flagstaff, felt the the forces of nature upon us.

• steve2
    steve2

I went to the Vatican in 2010. Most amazing experience of my life made more difficult by the tens of thousands of other goggle-eyed tourists lapping up such wonderful art.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Even if you believe in the religion, usually it is a complete waste of money and time. Going to some religious place takes up valuable time and resources, and you give up much in the way of enjoyment. The place is usually much less enjoyable than a secular monument or natural park, and they are typically crowded. Often, they are located in places where there are legal difficulties getting in or out of their country or where disease, crime, and/or generally poor food or water (or both) are common.

You are better off, if you are going to practice the religion, to practice it at home. It costs nothing (aside the price of the Bible) to read the Bible itself. You can go to whatever church or independent Bible study group you choose, and those are usually fairly inexpensive or free. (Or you choose how much you wish to waste on the collection plate.) If you are into the religious experience, I recommend finding a place that few people know about but has much natural beauty. You could choose to find a remote island in the South Pacific. Or, you can simply drive a few kilometers into a not-so-travelled forest and hike there. Most places have at least one area within half-day's drive where you can appreciate nature. And, if you are on a remote island where nature walks are scarce, a nice sailboat ride into the open ocean can give you the same thing for about 2 days' sailing time and relatively cheap. Chances are, you will spend much less and enjoy the experience more.

• designs
    designs

A good friend who has the means to travel has recently made trips to Peru to visit Machu Picchu and said the trip was inspiring, she also visited Tibet and found the Monasteries 'filthy', like why can't the monks pick up a broom once in awhile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit