What does having a Free Mind mean to you?

by zengalileo 6 Replies latest jw friends

• zengalileo
    zengalileo

I am working on a couple of articles on the topic. One is called "The heart of the Free Mind," and the other is "Diary of a Free Mind." Love to get some thoughts on it from exJWs. What is really standing out to me at this point is the fact that among the ex-cult community, not just exJWs, there is quite a wide array of believers in what I personally would consider crazy beliefs. Myths, urban legends, false prophets, conspiracy theories and deadly beliefs are all believed in by the ex cult community as a whole. In some cases it seems to me that people have gone from the frying pan to the fire with their beliefs, religious or otherwise. What do we make of this? Has a person really freed their mind and broken loose of mind control if they just go from one crazy religion to another? this of course is all in the eyes of the beholder. What I think is crazy is perfectly rational to someone else. But there at the same time is probably a group of beliefs that are so out there that 99.9% of the earth does not believe them.

Here's a few examples of exJWs I know personally that have some crazy beliefs, and may or may not have free minds, I'll let you decide:

One of my best all-time friends actually believes the earth is flat (kid you not) and that it is a big conspiracy that it is otherwise. I haven't checked with him on this recently, but a few years ago he told me, "Now, don't just shoot this down out of reflex..." I tiold him I could prove to him with a stick and a shadow otherwise and I wouldn't need to refer to any pictures or books. He hasn't taken me up on that one.

My brother is a born again christian. So am I. But I don't believe in the Bible at all. He believes that Adam and Eve were real people. And he gives a lot of money to Benny Hinn. He also believes that God wants him to be rich, and that by giving to Benny Hinn, somehow that is going to happen.

Randy is fond of telling me, "Love people more, believe them less." I think this is a good philosophy. But still I wonder at how invested people are in their beliefs. I see every belief I have as a liability. There is no belief I have that if I were presented with discopnfirming evidence, I wouldn't abandon toot-sweet. I see this as a good quality for my character. Others see me as faithless. Actually I am faithless. I have no need whatsoever for faith. I only believe on evidence. The more evidence, the more belief. Simple. No evidence, no belief. My belief in Christ is based on a supernatural experience that I had. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be;ieve at all. The Bible has no influence whatsoever in my believing in Christ. In fact my personla experience with christ contradicts much of the Bible. I prefer personal experience to "book worship." But I also wonder whether many here would consider me as not having a free mind based on my experience.

• tec
    tec

Funny, I would consider your mind to be more free based on your e x perience.

Free mind to me means your mind is no longer enslaved and forced to believe what people tell you MUST be true, or what IS true. According to them anyway. No more 'herd mentality'. You are free to think for yourself, to search out the truth for yourself... even if that means going against the norm, or the accepted.

Peace,

Tammy

• designs
    designs

The eyes glazed over at Benny Hinn, so sorry.

• zengalileo
    zengalileo

Is there anyone here who will admit that they do NOT have a free mind? THAT would be really interesting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Your mind is what you use to make sense of the world around you. The conclusions you come to are shaped by a vast number of things, experience, social background, education and much much more.

Clever people can manipulate your mind, so that you "see" what is not there, or what did not really happen etc

I do not believe anyone truly has a "free" mind, we have only a little control over the factors that shape how we see the world around us.

Just an example of social background affecting our mind, you had an experience that convinced you that Christ was real, I am gessing then you do not come from a Hindu or Shinto or Islamic background ?

Funny how the experiences such as you describe are shaped by ones upbringing and the society in which one lives.

So, is your mind truly "free" ? I think not, nor is mine, but we decide on its limitations to a degree, when we stop researching, stop listening to reasonings that conflict with our thoughts, and give them no weight, we imprison our mind in the place it has got to thus far, and we do not allow it to move further.

That choice seems a sad and unnecessary one to make, why fear changing your mind ? To expand ones mind is one of the greatest adventures we can have, do not throw the chance away ,especially by taking a faith position.

From the start such a position is a prison for the mind.

• flipper
    flipper

Having a free mind to me is being able to have the freedom to think, decide, and have access to information so I can use my critical thinking skills to read it and come to conclusions of my own - not someone elses conclusion - without an organization or anyone TELLING me or CONTROLLING me as to what to think or believe

• cofty
    cofty

"Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing" - Thomas Henry Huxley

This sums up my understanding of having a free mind - no fear.

Escaping the Watchtower is only step one, unless somebody continues to apply the same critical thinking skills to everything else they will never be truly free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit