Life insurance and smoking/nicotine questions

by sinis 4 Replies latest jw friends

• sinis
    sinis

Well wouldn't you know it... policy is coming up for renewal and i used to be an occassional tobacco user. I ended up quitting completely, never really smoked that much... I do prefer chewing the gum, though, as nicotine does offer some health benefits, as per recent studies. Anyways, I have stopped chewing the gum for a couple days now, as i have an appointment with the insurance guy at the end of next week. So, am I going to get hammered if I used to be an occassional smoker (but still use the nicotine gum)? If so, I may just wait until the nicotine and cotinine clears my system. Anyone know how long that usually takes? Thanks!

• ~Jen~
    ~Jen~

Yes, nicotine gum still counts. Generally companies say no nicotine for 1 year before they will consider you a non smoker

• sinis
    sinis

Damn, thats going to suck. How long before its out of my system? I'm not going to pay smokers rates for using the gum, thats just plain BS. Any thoughts? I may have to postpone my meeting with the agent... thanks.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Be careful how you answer the questions. And be careful how they are worded. Remember it is a contract. If you say no to all questions under the hope that the nicotine clears your system in time......when....you should have answered "yes"....and then you die.....they have the right to investigate. If your dear family were to admit in a moment of weakness that you chewed nicotine gum prior to and after your life insurance application.....they could have grounds to deny the claim.

Your death does not need to be associated with tobacco use. You could get hit by a truck. The point is ......if they determine that you didn't answer ANY question truthfully......the contract could be null and void.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't know if the nicotine gum metabolizes the same way in your system as chewing tobacco or cigarettes. I don't know exactly what substance they test for in your blood to verify your non-smoker status. But like a previous poster said, if they find out that anything on your application is less than honest, they can refuse to pay out. So it's not worth the risk in my opinion. When my husband quit smoking, he had to be 100% nicotine free for 2 years to qualify for the lower life insurance prices, and they still dinged him for being overweight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit