2002 2002 2002

by expatbrit 9 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Tonight is a very special occasion!

At 8:02 p.m. the time and date will read 2002 2002 2002. That is 2 minutes past 8 (twentieth hour in the 24 hour clock), on the 20th of February, 2002.

Apparently next time this happens will be 2112 2112 2112. I think last time was 1212 1212 1212. Not sure of that though.

Good excuse for an extra-cold vodka-martini, methinks!

Expatbrit

• Sargon
    Sargon

A friend of mine had a son born Jan 1 2001. he named him Owen for
    01 01 01.

I know it's only Rock n' Roll...

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Here in the center of the universe it will be 20:02 02/20/2002, or more likely 8:02 p.m. 2/20/02, since we don't much like figuring out military time or writing more than two digits for the year (which hasn't worked out too badly), and only as many digits as needed for the month and date. Your trick only works in countries where things are expressed according to their order of magnitude.

This brings up the computer terms "big-endian" and "little-endian," which refer mostly to binary values. For instance binary 1111 is decimal 15 because it is 8+4+2+1. Binary 1011 would be read as decimal 11, 8+2+1, in most systems, such as Intel-based systems, which are little-endian. A few systems, including Motorola-based systems, read 1011 as 1+4+8 = 13, because they are big-endian; that is, the last digit had the greatest magnitude. Faced with the bizarre way we in the U.S. express month, then the smaller magnitude date, then the larger magnitude year, hackeresse has thrown up its hands and declared this solution "middle-endian." Which really is funny, honest.

Bodhisattva

• logical
    logical

bod, did you smoke a joint before you typed that?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Here in the center of the universe it will be 20:02 02/20/2002

Which is still the same backwards and forwards! And yes, it's entirely dependent on the counting system and means of expression used. But it won't happen again for 110 years, so quit being such a spoilsport!

--
    "Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything." -Robert A. Heinlein

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

FunkyD-

By the "same backward as forward" approach, the same will happen on March 3, October 1, November 11, and December 21 of this year. I agree it's neat, though.

Logical -

Not immediately before, no.

Bodhisattva

• dubla
    dubla
    I think last time was 1212 1212 1212. Not sure of that though.

but that date was a little less significant because it wasnt palandromic.......i posted a little thread about this event yesterday >>> http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=21978&site=3

aa

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Damn! I missed it by 23 minutes.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy expatbrit!

Martha Stewart was on the Today Show this morning with Bryant Gumble - and she held up a sheet of paper with 2002 2002 2002 on it, making him guess at the answer.

He didn't get it - and she explained it to him, several times. He just looked at her blankly and said: "You have waaaay too much time on your hands."

LOL!

waiting

• Celtic
    Celtic

Trust an Expat to pip me to the post. My apologies Expat for posting on this too, I only glanced over page one, in the back of my mind I knew I ought to have checked page 2, anyway, theres a cool link on this date within that post, you may want to check it out.

Take care, love & peace

Celtic
    [email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit