Happy Are the Merciless

by Darth Rutherford 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Recently the local Kingdom Hall had a Local Needs Talk in which they expressed how too many people were listening to the meeting via the telephone connection. As a result, they've changed the code necessary to listen to the meeting. Only qualified individuals (homebound, bedfast, etc) will be allowed to call in and listen to a meeting. I tested this out last week, and indeed the code has been changed.

I wasn't at the meeting to hear this announcement, nor was I listening via the telephone. Some friends told me about the talk the other night. Needless to say, my jaw hit the floor. I, of course, don't believe in their "truth", nor can I take their meetings seriously; however, the individuals still at the Kingdom Hall do. To them, the meetings and the information presented are essential for everlasting life. That being said, if these meetings are so vital to one's eternal well-being, why in the world would they prevent fellow Christians from listening to the meeting?

The telephone hookup is a provision to help people get something from the meeting who normally wouldn't because of their absence. If you truly believe the meeting is that important for life, why would you deprive people from that provision? Isn't listening to the talk over the phone better than nothing at all? The phone hookup is a merciful provision to help people - and they took it away!

I asked the brother who told me the news: Why would they do that? Isn't a small piece of pie better than no pie?

He replied: Yeah, but you're supposed to go to the meetings to incite others to love and fine works. And if they're not at the meetings, they're not following the command to incite others to love.

I then replied: So, your love IS conditional. Unless I love you, you won't love me, right? And, who on the body of elders is qualified to determine an illness? Who defines "sick"? Some sicknesses aren't obvious. For example, what of those with emotional and mental illness?

The brother just sat there quietly - no reply. After a brief moment he changed the subject. I didn't pursue it any further since it was obvious my point was made.

No, I don't believe in this organization anymore; nevertheless, those calling to listen to the meetings do believe it. Instead of shepherding these individuals and actualling encouraging them to return (if they are able), the elders took away the provision after inferring that they were abusing it. They now forbid the majority of these callers from listening to the meetings from home. Personally, I believe they did those individuals a favor, but it still breaks my heart to see such flagrant merciless behavior by those charged with shepherding the flock.

Jesus said, "Happy are the merciful, since they will be shown mercy." (Matthew 5:7) How, then, will Jesus, who treats people so tenderly that "no smoldering flaxen wick will he extinguish," regard those pharisaical elders who ignore the weak and extinguish the smoldering spark of those still believing? Is this not additional proof of an evil slave who beats his fellow slaves instead of following the example of the Master? - Matthew 12:20; 24:28.

• N.drew
    N.drew
    Is this not additional proof of an evil slave who beats his fellow slaves instead of following the example of the Master? - Matthew 12:20; 24:28.

Yes it is

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Ahhhhhhhhh, The Friends, The friends...................

There's an elderly woman in my field service group, who hasn't been in a Kingdom Hall for years. She's well into her 80's, diabetic, uses a walker to get around, lives in a high rise, etc.. Every month and a half, sometimes monthly, I drop in and give her the magazines, Kingdom Ministries, buy her lunch, do a little grocery shopping for her, etc.. She's capable of going to the meetings, but at eighty-something years old, she's got a legitimate excuse not to attend even by arrogant pious WT standards. Anyways, there's another older sister in this same high-rise, who occasionally approaches me at the meeting and asks if I've checked up on this other sister. What she's oblivious to, is that this sister doesn't want to be bothered. She's happy and content simply listening to the meeting on the phone. If this sister needs anything thats pressing, she'll call me with no shame in her game, and don't mind, matter fact I like it like that. The best part is she tells me not to mind this other sister asking me if I checked up on her. Matter fact she's expressed to me that this sister actually irritates her and that she purposely avoids her phone calls as she doesn't want to be bothered.

Anyway, there's plenty of people who don't actually need the phone hook-up per say, but are taking advantage of it being available. The truth be told is, and I hope you Bethel monitors are reading this, but the truth be told is, not everybody wants to be bothered with The Friends but at the same time, some people do actually thirst for minimal social interaction which can be achieved through the phone hook-up during the meeting. Me personally, I've had my fair share of colds, the occasional flu, stomach bugs, whatever, and you know what? The times I stay home from the meeting, I don't feel as if I'm missing jack shit, although I hate being sick. Happy are the merciless.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    He replied: Yeah, but you're supposed to go to the meetings to incite others to love and fine works. And if they're not at the meetings, they're not following the command to incite others to love.

Ah, so it's ONLY the meetings where this "love" can take place, I see. Inciting "love", say at someone's home for a BBQ with no Watchtower literature, is actually just a lesser version of the "love" decribed in the Bible. Apparently you require holy ground, and Watchtower literature, for "love" to be real....

-Sab

• baltar447
    baltar447

The "org" is tearing apart slowly but surely.

• baltar447
    baltar447

I for one am happy to be watching from the outside.

• pontoon
    pontoon

The contributions boxes are at the hall

• finally awake
    finally awake

our hall never bothered to set up a phone line as far as i know, despite the fact that there were several elderly, frail people who didn't need to be out at night in the winter. plus we had one brother on dialysis who really couldn't manage to get to the meetings. there were a lot of times i would have 'phoned it in' if the option had been availabe.

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Totally agree with all of you. Pontoon... you may have hit the nail on the head. I never thought about that. Great point!

You know how the WT constantly likens itself to the Israelites. Well, isn't the phone hookup similiar to the Israelite provision of "gleaning"? Gleaning was the process of gathering the portion of the crop that was left behind by the harvesters. According to God's law, harvesters weren't to reap the edges of the fields, thus making a provision for the poor and afflicted of the land. These less fortunate ones could come and harvest from the crops left behind. Gleaning was a provision to ensure all had food on the table.

People calling and listening via the phones are "gleaning" from the meeting. Due to circumstances undefined they aren't getting to partake of the bulk of the meeting-harvest, but the phone allows them to still get a portion of it. Nevertheless, the self-righteous pharisees have stopped the gleaning process so that the spiritually weak go hungry.

The funny thing is that I've been saying for months how there is a lack of genuine love at the Hall. Of course, the majority obediently scoff at the statement. Then the elders turn around and do this?! Wow! How much more obvious does it have to be?

You know... if a significant portion of the congregation is listening instead of actually attending, you would think the elders would take a step back and ask themselves if it's something THEY are - or are not - doing! But, as always, the threatened make an accusation that there's a witch among them, then they sit back, smile, and watch the congregation burn him or her at the stake. Ta da! No more threat!

Baltar (by the way... love BSG), you're right - it's slowly tearing apart. How much more obvious when we're standing outside. I still feel sorry for those disillusioned on the inside. How they are grasping to hold onto anything in the darkness. But, on the positive side, it could very well be the catalyst that points them in our direction!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit