Geneaology - any tips for a noobie?

by sir82 8 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Saw a news article on a guy who found an old class ring, 90 years after the owner lost it, and returned it to the owner's grandson.

In the article, a reference was made to the finder using the website findagrave.com to assist in locating the grandson.

On a whim, I typed in my grandfather's name on that website and found it! My grandmother is on there too.

This led to a quick search on a free geneaology site where I found out more details on my grandparents, stuff my parents never told me (dysfunctional family, yada yada, skip boring parts).

I'm stunned - I had a mental picture of my grandparents from teh bits & pieces I got from my parents, but my whole picture has flipped!

-- My grandfather was a WWI veteran & was born in Iowa

-- My grandmother was born in Wyoming in the late 1890's - maybe I'm the great grandson of a wild west cowboy!

-- They married in Ohio, which I never expected either

I'm new to geneaology searches, but I'm suddenly hooked.

Any recommendations on free sites to search? Ancestry.com appears to be one of the buiggest sites, but I'm way to cheap to pay for a membership. The one I did use seems to have large gaps in its database.

• St George of England
    St George of England

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

It's the Mormons of course. They have lots of useful stuff, I found lots about my family there.

George

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

These might be helpful... and amusing... mainly for people in the U.K. I guess...

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/forms/formMain.jsp

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I LOVE ancestry.com I am obsesseed with it right now!

I have found out so much about my family and I enjoy it so much that I find it well worth the money I spent.

Evenually I will outgrow the site (I already feel that time is coming as I've almost searched all the searching I can search there), but as a newbie it's GREAT! They have tons and tons of records there to search, it makes it so easy.

If you do join, beware of copying other people's trees with their information. Ancestry.com make it very easy to do and it's not a very good idea. Other people really mess up their trees and you don't want to copy their errors. You want to build your own tree full of data you have records and sources for.

I found out that a cousin of mine was shot by Jesse James and his uncle tried to get revenge by joining the gang and then shooting Jesse at an unsuspecting moment! The uncle rode away (being shot at by other members of the gang) thinking he had killed Jesse James, but he had not. Thought that was a cool story to uncover....

I only had one picture of a certain great grandfather and I met another decendant of his on ancestry.com and she gave me a whole bunch of photos of him AND his kids (my grandpa...) and his family (my great great grandparents)!! Those pictures are wonderful treasures! And best of all I have a new cousin I never knew!

I found lots of other pictures of family members there, too.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Genealogy - any tips for a noobie?

*Pick your parents carefully?*

om

• besunny
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm an Ancestry member. PM me the info and I can do a search for you. :)

• cedars
    cedars

sir82 - try www.myheritage.com

This site lets you input quite a lot of details and build a large family tree before asking you for any money. You download the free software and upload the information on to a family tree website for your friends and family to see. I have built a sizeable tree of my own relatives, and not paid a cent thus far. The only downside is that you lose the "integration" of ancestry with records databases etc, but if you're just after something that will store information and present it in an understandable way, I would recommend this site.

Cedars

• blondie
    blondie

Be prepared, you might find out more than you think. I searched my family and found out that my grandmother had been married 3 times (my grandfather was the 3rd) and had other children. Now I'm trying to find the children and/or grandchildren.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit