Who is the Mighty God?

by s-c-3-1-3 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• s-c-3-1-3
    s-c-3-1-3

Isaiah 9:10 says, “ For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, and Prince of Peace. ” In the next chapter, however, Jehovah is described as the Mighty God: And it will certainly occur in that day that those remaining over of Israel and those who have escaped of the house of Jacob will never again support themselves upon the one striking them, and they will certainly support themselves upon Jehovah, the Holy One of Israel, in trueness. A mere remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the Mighty God” (Isaiah 10:20-21 NWT).

I looked in an interlinear translation and notice that the same Greek words are used in both passages to says, “Mighty God.” I would appreciate if someone could explain this. How do the Jehova's Witnesses explain it.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They want it both ways. They want to have big god and a bunch of little gods. Never mind that later on in Isaiah their big god says he's the only god.

It's Isaiah 9:6 BTW.

WT 1 Oct 1983

In what sense is Jesus a “Mighty God”?
    Isaiah also foretold that Jesus would be a “Mighty God.” Before coming to earth he was “a god” in the sense that he was “the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.” (John 1:1; Colossians 1:15) After dying as a human and being raised as an immortal spirit, he is a god in the sense that he partakes bodily of “the divine quality.”—Colossians 2:9; 1 Timothy 6:15, 16.
    However, there is an authority associated with the title “Mighty God.” In the Bible certain men were called gods. Why? Because they served as judges in the nation of Israel. (Psalm 82:1-6) Jesus, the “Mighty God,” is Jehovah’s great appointed Judge. He himself explained what this meant: “The Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son, in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father.”—John 5:22, 23.
    Among the judgment acts entrusted to Jesus is the judging of his own congregation—both those who had died prior to his return in Kingdom power and those still alive—at the period of his presence during “the conclusion of the system of things.” (Matthew 24:3) He also does the judging of the nations today, separating “the sheep” from “the goats.” In addition, he will preside over the thousand-year judgment day of all mankind after Armageddon. A “Mighty God” indeed!—Matthew 25:31-46; Revelation 11:18; 1 Peter 4:17; Revelation 20:4, 5, 13.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

While the JWs teach, incorrectly, that the child born to us, Jesus, was nothing more than a man, and that He, in his preincarnate state as an angel was created and not eternal, Is. 9:6 states that the child born to us is the Eternal Father, and Mighty God. JWs claim that He was Mighty God like Old Testament characters, judges and kings, who were god-like, but the very next phrase contradicts that notion. The Mighty God is the Eternal Father, not some Old Testament saviour riding a horse.

"For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be on his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-6.html#27

• designs
    designs

jd- First off you don't know JW theology on Jesus by what you've stated.

Secondly why should a Jew care about how Christians misinterpret the Hebrew Bible.

• Bella15
    Bella15

I have always been perplexed for the title "Eternal Father" too ...we also have our Heavenly Father who is also Eternal from everlasting to everlasting ...

In my Spirit there is no doubt about anything when it comes to God ... the peace that comes from having a personal relationship with Jesus, to love Jesus surpasses all understanding ...when your teacher is the Holy Spirit ...

• bioflex
    bioflex

Revelation 1:8(KJV) - I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Here we see Jesus referring to himself not just as Almighty but also Alpha and Omega.

So the question is

1. Can there be 2 almighty?

2. Can there be 2 alpha and omega? since Jehovah is also Alpha and Omega.

John 1:1(KJV) - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

but in John 1:14 - And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

So from this we know that Jesus is the incanation of the word (in flesh form)

GOD = WORD (Jesus in flesh)

So until Jesus became flesh he was the WORD of God which is equal to God. His authority has not chaged even though his status is now as that of a Son (the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

jd- First off you don't know JW theology on Jesus by what you've stated.

Can you be more specific? Which words do you claim to be an incorrect representation of JW doctrine?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Revelation 1:8(KJV) - I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Just to add to your correct statement:

The heavenly resurrected Jesus is identified as Almighty God and the “First and the Last” because there can be only one “First and Last” and one “Alpha and Omega” and Jesus assumed both titles. [Top]

In the Book of Revelation Jesus can be identified as the Almighty and the “Alpha and the Omega,” titles used to identify God. Even if the Jehovah's Witnesses were correct in stating that Jesus is never specifically called the Almighty, which they claim is a title reserved for God (Reasoning, 414), that title can readily be ascribed to Jesus by logically piecing together selected verses.

For instance, both Jesus at Revelation 1:17, 18 and God as the Alpha and Omega at Revelation 22:13 are referred to as “the First and the Last.” Therefore, because Jesus and the Almighty are both “the First and the Last,“ Jesus must be the Almighty who is the Alpha and Omega.

Also, the Alpha and the Omega (God) of Revelation 1:8 is identified as the Almighty, and because Jesus is also the Alpha and the Omega, Jesus is the Almighty, a title identifying Jehovah (Yahweh) at Genesis 17:1. Jesus was, and is, God. The logical train of thought is illustrated by quoting the actual verses.

a) Jesus is the First and the Last: “Fear not, I am the First and the Last, and the living one; I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” (Revelation 1:17, 18)

b) The Alpha and the Omega (God) is also the First and the last: “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the beginning and the end.” (Revelation 22:12, 13)

c) Therefore, Jesus must also be the Alpha and Omega, God.

d) The Alpha and the Omega is the Almighty: “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:8)

e) Therefore, not only is Jesus the Alpha and Omega but also the Almighty, all powerful, omnipotent.

This makes perfect sense in light of John 17:10 where Jesus in praying to His Father said, “everything of mine is yours, and everything of yours is mine.” “Everything” is very broad. It includes His disciples, words (truth), the Holy Spirit, and all power and authority as indicated by Christ’s statement at Matthew 28:18, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.” Christ claimed universal power (NAB notes 28, 19); He is omnipotent, all powerful, and accordingly Almighty and sovereign of which there can only be one in the Universe.

The Jehovah's Witnesses attempt to circumvent this logic by arguing that the mere fact that one title (First and Last) is applied to two separate individuals, Jesus and the Almighty, does not mean those individuals are the same person. By analogy they contend that the expression “apostle” is applied to Jesus and to certain ones of his followers, but that doesn’t prove that they are the same person or of equal rank (Reasoning, 413).

Their analogy, however, is not applicable to this situation. The Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus is always secondary and inferior to God in everything at all times, in heaven and on earth, never first (Should You Believe, Chapter 6). Thus, even by their own admission, there is only one who can be “the First and the Last.”

On the other hand, there have been many apostles, and if there are many such “First and Lasts” they might have a point, but there aren’t, there’s just one. The Jehovah’s Witnesses’ analogy just isn’t valid. As there can only be one First and Last, and both Jesus and God are “the First and the Last,” Jesus must be God and Christ rightfully refers to Himself indirectly as the Almighty in the Book of Revelation. You could say it was the culmination of His gradual disclosure.

To put it another way, if there is only one person on planet earth and his title is King and name is Sherman, and if there is a person on earth whose name is Fred who also is called King, then Fred must be Sherman the King in the same sense that Christ must be God because there is only one “First and Last“ of the universe, one King.

Furthermore, both God and Jesus are said to be “coming,” an obvious reference to the much anticipated Second Coming of Christ’s return (Rev 1:7, 8; 22:12, 13).

It is simply not logical that in the Book of Revelation the “First and Last” is a title reserved for the Almighty, the Alpha and Omega, but is also applied to a created angel who became man and reverted back to being an angel, who is always regarded by the Jehovah’s Witnesses as secondary to God in everything, a created being, always inferior. Their theory just doesn’t make sense.

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-5.html#23

• dontplaceliterature

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit