Hello Again!

by Joe Grundy 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Hi!

It's a few years since I participated on JWN

I'm not, and never have been, a dub. My history is available for those who want to research it. I was raised in the Plymouth Brethren but many years ago I started to do some basic research and I have been an atheist for many years.

My particular interest is trying to establish why so many otherwise seemingly educated and intelligent people (lawyers, judges, etc.) are able to suspend their normal and natural cynicsm and disbelief when it comes to religion. In other words, why professionals who in their 'professional' life demand evidence, reason etc., can in their 'private life' completely disregard their 'normal' rules of evidence and willingly and knowingly accept the tenets of whatever religion they choose to believe (or were conditioned to accept).

Although I have never been a dub I know a little (third hand) about the pain and trauma of being involved in a controlling cult. Five years ago I made contact (through this site) with a lovely lady who had suffered dreadfully through 'shunning' at the hands of WTBTS. After some contact and hearing her story I bought her air tickets to the UK and introduced her to the real wide world that is 'normal' life outside of the (to my mind dictatorial) norms of JW existence. She came to my brother's surprise 60th birthday party (in a pub, alcohol was much in evidence) and also, in quieter circumstances, we sat in a pub, drank beer (she even had a cigarette!) and I hope and believe that she learned that us 'worldly people' aren't as bad as WTBTS (and other fundies) make us out to be. I would not have believed what she went through if I hadn't met her and heard her story.

I don't know whether this lady is still on JWN. If she is, she'll recognise this story (BHH!). I know that she is still in contact with my ex-wife and familly via facebook. I know that she has moved on from the control and despair that being a JW had wrought.

My return to JWN was prompted by recent visits from JWs. The first visit was by a pair of old dears who looked exhausted in the cold and the rain and my initial response was to invite them in to warm up and have a cup of hot chocolate. I didn't (to my shame?) because I thought that they would see this as 'interest' in the insane bundle of contradictions they were peddling and there was no point, for them or me. I took the literature, of course, and hoped they got 'J-points' for leaving it but it went staright into the bin. (If I wanted to read their stuff I could read it here - with the benefit of explanations from Blondie and other erstwhile contributors).

The second visit was (for me) more disconcerting. My (adult) son (he shares my views) and I were in the driveway 'fiddling' with my my motorbike one Saturday afternoon when a youngish (17? 18?) guy turned with a younger boy in tow. They were both dressed smartly (shirts and ties) and were nice, personable, young people. After the initial approach we got talking and it seems that this young guy is in 6th form school or college. He was patient and polite, as was I, and I introduced the standard questions.

He believes (he told me) that the earth is c.6,500 years old. He is a dedicated creationist. He sees no contradictions in the Bible and WTBTS can and will explain all things.

I was saddened (as was my son). This lad was certainly personable, appeared intelligent and articulate. He said he wanted to study science. But, but, but, he had no concept (or was afraid to reveal any knowledge of) anything outside of JW teaching. We spoke about the internet and independent research. He shied away. In the end, I agreed to take the literature on condition he took a note I gave him - which had the addresses of this site and JWFacts. The stuff he gave me went into the bin. I hope he kept the stuff I gave him.

I am an atheist, but I don't seek to proselytise. I am concerned about what I see as a damaging effect on our world of people who adhere to religious belief - especially as regards as to bringing up children - and I would prefer it if everyone used their rational powers of reason. But that's not the important point here.

I view (as an outsider) WTBTS as one of the most insidious, controlling, deceptive and dangerous cults I have come across. There may be worse, but my experience is limited.

Anyway, Hello Again! I have learned a lot from this site in many ways - the scholarly input, the personal experiences, the 'real life' stories.

Thanks for having me.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome back! I sure hope the young jw puts the information you gae him to good use.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Hello, Joe.

I cannot tell you why many educated people believe in their religion. I suspect that many were raised in their church and have possibly never investigated any other beliefs. Or it may be that their reasoning tells them that a creator must have made all, after pondering the subject. After leaving the JWs, I am, I think, leaning toward agnostic but do feel that the teachings of Jesus, and the love he showed for his fellow man was outstanding, and still consider myself Christian.As you can see by my onscreen name, I don't feel I have all the answers anymore, but am learning to accept this as time goes on.

I do hope the young man you spoke to will study science. He will be confronted with much evidence of man having been on this earth for obviously much longer than 6,000 years. Perhaps you planted a seed for him that can be watered in the future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit