Non JW celebrities that the JW's adopted as their own

by highdose 5 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

Don't know if anyone else has ever seen this happen? Examples are Princess Diana, Obama, Pavorotti and then of course Peter Andre, Cliff Richard, the national geograpic magazine and the WHO.

All have been adopted as mascots by the JW's i've been around. I was told about Princess Di etc that they had been wittnessed to ( someone they knew often sent them the magazines) which of course meant that they were secrect JW's(!)

i belive this has even been claimed about Tony Blair and Richard Dawkins.

The national geographic and the WHO are cited so often by the WT you'd be forgiven for thinking that they were practicaully part of the borg themselves. Of course this is not the case and i have since discovered that the nat geo has many interesting articles about evolution.

• Black Sheep
  • highdose
    highdose

i mean the world health organisation! :P

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Funny you should mention the Nat Geo, cos back in the 80s my dad, a JW and avid NG reader, noticed that if there was an article in the NG, a similar article would be printed in the Awake a few months later!

Peter Andre was raised as a JW in Qld Australia but left (obviously).

I was told that Womack and Womack were JWs but I never found anything that said that online.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have never been impressed by "celebrity", even less so in recent times when all they have to do is appear on some "reality" show and do or eat something disgusting, or appear on some "talent" show and sing badly and they are Bingo! a celebrity.

So when "so and so" was said to be a JW, I would first of all take the info with a good pinch of salt, and then think "So what anyway?" , and in my cynical way would wait for the disclosure that even if they once were a JW, they have now been DF'd or have left, it seemed to happen to so many.

The celebrities the JW's seem to idolise of late are the Governing Body, this is troubling to me, I canot see anything in Scripture but condemnation for this, even John, when he knelt before an Angel was told "Do not do that".

• zagor
    zagor

yeah and the entire United Nations ... or was it the other way around

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit