Colossians 2:16 - Why not addressed when the subject of Holidays arises?

by sinis 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sinis
    sinis

I find it funny that the WTS ignores Colossians 2:16 with regards to "pagan" holidays, yet will allow such pagan rituals as a wedding ring, "white" wedding, neck ties, etc; all the while making half ass attempts at justifying wind chimes and how they are a conscience decision. Does not Colossians 2:16 basically allow anything, and not to judge? If you research the book of Job it becomes appearent that Job was celebrating his kids birthday, and yet he "walked with god"... what gives???

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Interesting, I never noticed that before

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Can anyone verify if the Watchtower discusses that verse at all in light of holiday celebrations? Questions from readers? I don't currently have access to my WTLB cd-rom.

• undercover
    undercover

Colossians 2:16. Oh, that pesky word, "festival".

Not just the NWT, but others as well, use the word "festival" alone. Some say "religious festival", some say "holy day" (I think).

I don't know the original Greek but when a JW reads this verse, all they're gonna see is "festival" and think "party" "event" "gathering". They're not clued in to it being a religious festival, or holy day.

It is a good point, but yet a waste of time...because JWs are trained to ignore that what is negative toward what the WTS teaches. Even if the scripture said, "Do not go judging your brother who may celebrate Christmas, complete with lights and decorations and gift-giving...." if the WTS says "don't do it", dubbies will follow along as they are told and will judge harshly anyone who dares buck the tide. The scripture will be ignored...much like it's being ignored now.

• sinis
  • isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Even if the Wt was forced to address this they would probably say, as they do with Romans 14...that it is speaking specifically of the Jewish feasts. That begs the question then (assuming the Wt position is correct) of why the WT has taken that freedom away from its members that Paul gives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit