Canine Blood donors help injured, sick animal

by zadok777 5 Replies latest jw friends

• zadok777
  • zadok777
    zadok777

I wanted to share this info I found on the msn.com site but I don't know how to post it. If other know how to post please help.

The article was written by Marie Gilbert of The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown and pick up by AP 12-25-11. To quote on line it says

"The dogs are part of a program that gives the gift of life to an injured or sick animal. They are blood donors."

The source line also says Today.com

This is info I have never heard about. I wonder how the WT would answer in the Questions from readers? The dog would be

disfellowship.

regards-zadok777

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

Yes I imagine JW's would not even let their dog get a blood transfusion if it needed it. After all if the dog got a blood transfusion it would not be clean for the paradise!

Next time I am at my the vet I will ask if my dog can donate blood to help others.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I remember a long time ago asking my vet about dog blood donations. Apparently, dogs are more likely to have universal blood types. If your dog has universal blood type, then he should donate!

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Yes, they do have blood types .

Dog blood type is different than the types found in people. There are 6 major blood types. 42% of dogs have the same type which is universal. Recipients need to be matched to the appropriate blood type.

EDIT TO ADD:

There are 6 major dog blood types out of a possible 12, but 40-45 % of all dogs have a universal dog blood type. Sixty percent of Greyhounds have a universal blood type. Boxers, Irish Wolfhounds , German Shepherds, Dobermans, and Pit Bulls are often universal donors as well. This is important because only dogs with a universal dog blood type (DEA 1.1 negative) can be blood donors. Most dogs can receive the universal dog blood type, regardless of their own blood type. Tests are available to ensure a good "cross match" between your dog and the blood donor.

In an emergency a dog can receive a transfusion from another dog that is of a different type since dog blood does not have antibodies. After the first transfusion antibodies develop which require that a good "major crossmatch" is achieved between compatible donors.
    Source(s):
    http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogblood…

Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think the WTS/Bible application should be that Acts applies to man, not animals. Dogs fornicate, eat fat, ... so dogs can swap blood.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Every veterinarians' office that I ever frequented, had several office "pets" who were kept around in case there was a need for a blood transfusion...

Of course, in many cases, it was actually a means to keep yet more unwanted animals alive, while providing them with a decent quality of life AND some sort of business write-off for the expenses of keeping them healthy and happy...

"Blood Donor" animals are actually very common... And no, there are no organ transplants [that I know of] in veterinary medicine...

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit