Scaling back on Christmas?

by WTWizard 6 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This year, I have been hearing more about how families are starting to do just that. What ends up happening is, instead of piles of presents under the tree, there are much fewer (or none). Stockings are half full, if that, instead of full to the top. Families instead devise alternate means of celebrating the holiday--that cost much less in work and money.

Now, much of this is because the Rothschilds have drained the wealth from the system, causing companies to lay off people and cut pay for everyone else (as hyperinflation eats away at what's left). Regulations cut off whatever jobs remain. This means families are not in a position to put presents under the tree (and, sometimes not even having a tree at all, or just having an image of a tree tacked to the wall). Just putting food on the table is all they can do--let alone presents under the tree or in the stockings. Quite a few have to choose between food, home, heat, or medicine.

But, there are quite a few people recently that have other reasons to cut back. Again, a lot of it has to do with the work. They wish to skip the malls because of the pushing and shoving--and pepper spraying--to get hot items. They just don't feel like spending the whole month running around the malls, putting lights on everything, putting up a Christmas tree and decorating their homes, and wrapping gifts. Rather, they will simply get a few items, throw a few electric candles in windows and a couple of inflatables or strings of lights in their yard, and cut way back on (or skip) cards and presents. They also scale back on the parties, hoping to avoid most of the extra work and having problems paying bills and losing the weight in January.

And there are others that wish simply to return to simpler motives. As Christmas is as much about enjoying family time as exchanging gifts, some choose to focus on that aspect. And there are the ones that believe that if it is such a burden, they are well to cut back or eliminate it. A few are starting to get back to the "worship the sun" items--churches are also sponsoring "no-shopping" Christmas celebrations. And there are people that are simply doing the religious aspect, going to church and celebrating Christmas that way.

Whatever the motives, there are those who are not buying as much. Already, since 2007 I have been noticing fewer elaborate Christmas displays outside. There seems to be a minor comeback in 2011, but still the days where you would see 50 houses in a row with every possible surface lit so you could see them from Pluto are gone. Again, some of it is the electricity prices and general choosing between food and decorations. And some of it is because people are tired of the work involved (though it is fun work).

The good side is that there will always be those who choose to go all out. True, they might not be able to go all out and buy everything under the sun. But, they still splurge in time with Christmas decorations and decorate all-out. Even if the United Tyranny of Stupidity passes a law against it, there will be some that will break that law and place decorations everywhere (and not all of it will be out of spite, either). And this makes sense--as long as you do it within your means, putting up the Christmas decorations can be a lot of fun. You put up the lights, and enjoy them. You put up tinsel garland, ornaments, and the like--and almost everyone enjoys them. Ornaments, by and large, are durable and last multiple years instead of just a couple of weeks (so that's a good place to splurge). You don't gain 50 kg by putting up the decorations, and the new LED lights generate tiny electric bills and can double as security and safety lighting.

Despite the necessity of scaling back on certain aspects of Christmas because of personal finances or because you are no longer physically able to do all the work, I think celebrating Christmas is going to endure. Until mankind is forced to discontinue this by being fully enslaved, people are going to want to do things that create beauty and that are fun. And who cares if Jesus wasn't born on December 25 but the sun-god was? That isn't as important--December 25 was the date that people chose to honor and observe Jesus, whether as their savior or as someone that died trying to save us from Jehovah. And that's what really counts.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've turned down invitations from my family for Christmas dinner for several reasons.

• Every time I attend I spend the next few days very ill, whether it's due to food handling or because someone's kid is usually sick.
    • They live out of town and I avoid driving at night because my night vision is deteriorating.
    • I find family gatherings depressing because I keep looking around and missing everyone who has died in the last 10 years. Actually, I find the whole Christmas season depressing. I'd be more than happy to spend the entire month of December in a coma.

I'm having 2 friends over for dinner tomorrow, but that's it. No lights, tree, or decorations.

W

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I give partial gifts to Heifer Int'l, a heavily audited Christian group that provides pair of livestock animals to third world countries. I can't afford a ox or a Noah's ARk so I give partial gifts of sheep, goats, etc. Part of me feels nasty for supporting my charity but these people don't have a charity. When they open the gift card, their faces look transported with sheer glee. The portions of 2/5 of a cow are funny.

My former church collected funds at church. The biggest selling point was the rigorous auditiing and on ground monitoring.

• guess211
    guess211

The biggest selling point was the rigorous auditiing and on ground monitoring??? might be true.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The biggest selling point was the rigorous auditiing and on ground monitoring??? might be true.

That's a huge selling point for me too. I've done IT work for some charities, and the waste is astonishing. A consulting company I used to work for deals exclusively with charities because that's where they made the most money. They dumped their private sector clients once they found that charities were their real cash cow.

W

• designs
    designs

The Rothchilds know they need a healthy middle class to buy their products, they didn't become the Cabal leaders by being stupid

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Either a healthy middle class, or total enslavement so they can use the people to produce things for their own enjoyment. In which case, there would be no more Christmas (or anything else). Yes, they need a healthy middle class while they are gathering power, but once they have it, they can enslave us all and still thrive off our backs while we have to do without the basic pleasures of having holidays.

And this time, I found the information, not on an "alternative media" site like Prison Planet, but right in the USA Today paper of Thursday, December 22, 2011. While they do a pxxx poor job at explaining why things are the way they are and predicting the future, they do a reasonable job at reporting how people are coping with things. And, one of those things is that families are having to come up with alternative ways to celebrate. And I bet the children, particularly those who are around 8 or 9 and had regular Christmas until this year, are rather pxxxed at not having very much under the tree (or nothing at all).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit