The 1260 Days – a tenfold kaleidoscope of Watchtower waverings.

by FatFreek 2005 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

The following table illustrates the extent to which Watchtower sometimes goes in their interpretation of scriptures. When I look at that table and the charts that follow, it makes me think of the word kaleidoscope. I suspect we've all played with such a toy when we were kids.

ka·lei·do·scope -- A constantly changing pattern or sequence of objects or elements.

I believe that definition profoundly describes what we see when looking at Watchtower's wavering at its interpretation over the years of the 1,260 days of Daniel and Revelation.

Note, too, how items 4 and 6 boast identical beginning and ending dates – the new light in 1951 was actually a return to the former new light of 1929. Ironically, Watchtower says this does not happen when they say, "However, it may have seemed to some as though that path has not always gone straight forward. At times explanations given by Jehovah’s visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case." The Watchtower, 1981, 12/1 p. 27

So – are they that ignorant about what they've printed – or did they lie?

The charts below are based on that table and may better illustrate how silly things can get in the world of Bible interpretation. Thanks to JWFacts and others for excellent source material.

Cheers, Len Miller

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Thanks for the chart. I like examples of Watchtower moving backward, flip floping, after their claims to never do it.

A side thought, Do you have page numbers for those references?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

They lied.

Caught with their pants down by astute researchers and exposed, they had to come up with an 'explanation'.

But this double speak gobbledegook was the best they came up with...Its not a previous view, its an 'adjustment'.

Thanks for the charts!

Oz

• alanv
    alanv

The depressing thing though is that witnesses living in the 21st century, have no idea whatsoever about all the past flip flops and alterations.

They are encouraged to just look at the situation now.

So what they see is revolutions in many countries, financial problems in leading world economies and their mother organisation telling them that this shows how we are at the end of the present system.

For many that is all they need ie reassurance that everything will work out very soon.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Good morning, and thanks -- it's been my pleasure.

Do you have page numbers for those references? Ah -- good question. I never finished the table, including the page numbers, did I? I'll try to do that sometime today. Check back later and the table above should reflect the changes (it may take a browser refresh, or two).

As to page numbers in the first three references, I've given up trying to do that when quoting from that huge online document. I think it's from one of the Watchtower Reprints series where it's easier to search for a string of text than a page number. The quotes are available from http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/documents. Note that is a sizeable download of some 74 Mbytes since the single file contains all Zion's Watch Tower issues from 1879 through 1916. To obtain it, look on that page and click on the link 1879-1916_Watch_Tower_Journals.pdf.

Alanv, you are spot on, I believe. The rank and file has no idea. Without the proper computer files -- and knowing where to look and knowing what to look for -- forget it. A collection task like this one would have been virtually impossible before the mid-90's. Search engines like Google are priceless.

Len
  • FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

My apologies, please. I updated the above table with dates, made a few corrections on the charts -- along with their reduced pixel width in order to display properly here -- and am ready to upload them to Photobucket once again. I first had to delete the old ones and there must be a delay period before one can upload the freshened ones.

Please be patient. It may take an hour or two, and it will probably require you to refresh your browser.

Thanks,

Len

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

As of 5:50 pm, CDT, the new images finally took at Photobucket. You'll probably need a browser refresh in order to see them. A bright red table header, instead of dull yellow, will be your clue that you have the latest.

As always, if you wish a copy of any image here, right click while mousing over the image -- then follow the menu.

Len

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi FF,

It's interesting to see it all laid out like that. Nice charts! I can't see a reference to the 1999 Daniel's Prophecy book - perhaps one to add?

*** dp chap. 9 p. 142 par. 28 Who Will Rule the World? ***

The same period is mentioned at Revelation 11:2-7, which states that God's witnesses would preach dressed in sackcloth for 42 months, or 1,260 days, and then be killed. When did this time period begin and end? ...

... beginning in December 1914, that small band of witnesses preached "in sackcloth." ...

... the foretold period of "a time, and times and half a time" ended in June 1918.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi AnnOMaly,

Thanks for the comp.

No -- I hadn't seen that one, nor have I seen all of the modern references. Since 1993, they all seem to be in agreement, like yours. I realize that 1999 reference (like the 2006 Your Kingdom Ministry) more generalizes the end date (June -- instead of June 21) . However, including those as one more contradiction in this series may kindle somewhat justified criticism from the apologists -- "aren't you splitting hairs?" -- which could soften the impact of an already startling exposé .

A series of 10 doctrinal positions should be more than enough to reveal Watchtower's arbitrary writing decisions, clearly not Spirit-Directed as they like to claim.

Len

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit