"this is a regime where everything that isn't forbidden is compulsory"

by cofty 4 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Anthony Daniels, a psychiatrist and writer whose pen name is Theodore Dalrymple wrote this line about North Korea.

Does it remind you of anything?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Uhm, yes. The totalitarian "Land of Roses" I grew up in during the 70's and 80's....

I know what you mean, though

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's been said here before: "The Watchtower is the North Korea of religions."

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

There is a CNN headline, indicating that "fear" was the true leader of North Korea.

This is similar to how the Watchtower organization works. Fear of dying at Armageddon and the fear of being disfellowshipped and cut off from your closest friends and family is always hanging over your head. This fear can be so strong, that people will suppress their true personalities and will even ignore things that bother their conscience, or gut feeling.

We're lucky to have ever escaped.

To those stuck in (for whatever reason), my heart goes out to you.

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

I love TonyDaniels/Theo. Dalyrmple. My current read is his book "Fool Or Physician" about his time in apartheid Rhodesia and SA. It's interesting to hear his thoughts on the death of Kim Jong Il. Insightful gentleman. Within the month he'll probably have an essay about it at The New English Review.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit