Why I dont believe in the Organisation (My letter to a JW sister)

by TimothyT 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TimothyT
  • TimothyT
    TimothyT

I think I should clarify my feelings on this. Firstly, I would like to say that I’m only searching for the truth which I know to be in Jesus. My belief or disbelief does not come from a hardened heart or some form of bias. If an idea doesn’t seem credible to me then I will try my best to research it thoroughly, looking at both sides, and ill either believe it, not believe it, or ill leave it at least until I can see how it might be credible. Also, I respect what anyone else believes, whoever they are and whether or not they have researched their belief thoroughly or not.

I think I should start with the point you mentioned about the Bereoans. What a good role model they were. I have been taught since I was young that this organisation is the one Jesus is using, through which he guides his people and will lead them to salvation, but I think it would be both wise and prudent to ‘carefully examine the scriptures’ which were used to see ‘whether these things are so’, just like the Bereoans did (Acts 17:11-12). This scripture shows that such an attitude is good for a Christian. I have always had this attitude even as a young person. If I cannot see scripture which backs up statement, then I would always reserve my feelings on whether it is true or not. In terms of belief in this organisation, it is not a case of trust or faith but of proper research and firm scriptural backing.

I believe Jehovah has an organisation. He is clearly organised and he always has been (1 Corinthians 14:33 ). He organised Noah to build and ark, he organised Moses to lead his people, and there are many other examples as the bible clearly points out. If you didn’t follow who Jehovah was using at the time then you were screwed basically. As the scriptures point out in the New Testament, Jehovah organised for Jesus to be the leader in a new arrangement and covenant. The scriptures CLEARLY point out that now salvation is through Jesus ALONE and that ANYONE who calls on his name will be saved – The running theme throughout the entire New Testament. In my trying to emulate the Bereoans, after scrupulous research, the following scriptures testify to this fact:

Matthew 20:28, Matthew 26:28, John 1:12, John 1:29, John 3:15-16, John 3:36, John 4:14, John 5:24, John 6:40, John 6:44-48, John 6:51, John 6:68-69, John 8:12, John 8:24, John 8:51, John 10:9, John 10:28, John 11:25-26, John 12:44-46, John 14:6, John 17:3, John 20:31, Acts 4:12, Acts 10:34-36, Acts 10:42-43, Acts 13:38-39, Acts 15:11, Acts 16:30-31, Romans 1:16, Romans 2:7, Romans 3:22-30, Romans 5:8-9, Romans 6:23, Romans 10:9-13, 1 Corinthians 3:11, 1 Corinthians 3:21, 2 Corinthians 5:21, Galatians 3:24-25, Ephesians 1:7, Ephesians 2:8-9, Colossians 1:21-22, Colossians 2:13-14, 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10, Titus 2:11-14, Titus 3:5, Philemon 3:9, 1 Timothy 2:5-6, 2 Timothy 1:9, 2 Timothy 2:10, 1 Peter 1:8-9, 1 Peter 1:18-19, 1 Peter 3:18, 1 John 1:7-9, 1 John 2:1-2, 1 John 2:12, 1 John 4:11-16, 1 John 5:9-12.

That’s a lot of scriptures to prove that salvation is through Jesus and Jesus ALONE! I’m sure you don’t doubt ANY of these either. I think it’s striking though to note that Jesus never said that people had to be part of an organisation to be saved. He and his disciples distinctly made it clear that salvation was through Jesus and Jesus ALONE, and it was through taking in knowledge of him and Jehovah which would lead to eternal life (John 17:3).

I certainly believe however, that Jesus does have a congregation of which he is the head (Acts 20:28 , Ephesians 1:22-23, Ephesians 2:19-22). In Ephesians, Paul writes that this congregation IS the body of Christ which is clearly symbolic language (Ephesians 1:23 ). He later speaks of unity and oneness in that congregation (1 Corinthians 12:13 , Ephesians 4:4-5). Personally I believe (as do bible scholars) that this congregation is symbolic in the sense that those who sincerely put their faith in Jesus will be a part of it. If they put their faith in Jesus sacrifice then they are certainly united in Christ, God, Spirit, faith, belief and hope. In any event, whether the congregation is literal or symbolic, it is UNDENIABLE that ANYONE who exercises faith in Jesus will be saved regardless of whether he belongs to a religion or organisation. That much is unmistakably clear.

So why do I need to put faith in an organisation when I can have faith in Jesus himself? The original Christian church was set up for two reasons: to assist those members to put faith in Jesus Christ and to preach to others. They could meet there, discuss Jesus teachings, listen to its applications in their lives and encourage each other to love and fine works (Hebrews 10:24 -25). Similarly today, churches and congregations around the world exist to provide support and encouragement to those who truly wish to follow Jesus, preach about him, and put faith in him and the Kingdom. Such churches are not the truth themselves. They can only benefit properly if they teach and apply the truth about Jesus which is written in the bible (John 17:17 ). No church today can provide salvation, but they can provide the key to salvation – faith in Christ. I’m confident that from the 2.2 billion Christians in this world, a vast number of them are putting faith in Jesus sacrifice and the Kingdom, and are being supported by their churches. Although all are imperfect congregations (JWs included) and have flaws and misguided beliefs, Jesus searches for those who put faith in him and act with kindness and sincerity.

It is also important to note that the majority of scriptures listed above regarding salvation through Jesus refer to individual people and not groups of people. Each one will render his own account towards Jehovah (Romans 14:12 , 2 Corinthians 5:10 , Galatians 6:5). If this is correct, then logically it makes little difference which religious denomination we belong to as long as we personally put faith in Jesus sacrifice. If the organisation helps you to draw closer to Jesus and Jehovah then good for you, it is clearly doing a good thing, just like the other churches which support their members to have faith in Jesus.

It’s only fair of course that I speak about my feelings on why this COULD be the chosen organisation. Apart from two scriptures (Matthew 24:45, which I believe is simply a misapplied illustration, and Acts 15 regarding the apostles meeting in Jerusalem ) the organisation makes no other credible scriptural claim as to it being the chosen organisation. A lot of the advice given in the Watchtowers comes clearly from scripture but is presented in a way that gives credit to the organisation. Similarly, they point to a lot of their own credentials which certainly do reach the benchmark of what true Christianity is, but still this is not an indication of its being chosen by Jesus. The claim seems to be made on circular reasoning – We are the chosen organisation because we say we are. I also found a lot of sweeping statements with no reasonable biblical evidence to back them up. Similar to this, every single Watchtower article I have read talking about why we must follow the organisation, has never given me a satisfactory biblical answer as to why. The word organisation doesn’t appear once in the bible, nor does a statement that you need one for salvation. On the contrary, when I read the New Testament, and when I read about the grace of Jehovah and Jesus Christ, It is crystal clear that salvation lies through Jesus ransom ONLY. I can’t see any reason why Jesus and Jehovah would have suddenly changed their plans and decided to use a specific group of people as yet another new means of salvation. The bible clearly states in 1 Timothy 2:5 that Jesus is the ONLY mediator between God and man, and that remains unchanged. The scripture does not speak about a group of men who would mediate between us and Jesus, yet that is what the leaders of the organisation say they do. Is this itself going against Jehovah’s will and adding to the scriptures? (1 Corinthians 4:6) It is points like these that seem to elude all JW’s, yet I see it as plainly as the nose on my face.

Nonetheless, I don’t think that this means the JWs don’t have the truth (faith in Jesus Christ) because I believe they do. I very much applaud the JWs for their preaching work as I think it’s very important. Likewise, I think it’s good they recognise Gods name. However, I believe it is incorrect to believe that they alone have the truth and no one else does. Jesus came to save the world, not just a group of people. The truth is open to everyone and Jehovah promised that all who take in knowledge and have faith in his son will be saved. Each JW must make sure that he is personally putting faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and work along with that, if he wants salvation. As you rightly say, who else can we go to, for Jesus has saying of everlasting life (John 6:68). This scripture is referring to Jesus Christ, NOT a 19 th century organisation based in New York – that much is blatantly obvious in the context. I believe 1 Corinthians 7:22-23 sums it up perfectly.

Simply put, if the organisation was appointed by Jesus Christ, then I am doomed as I’m no longer a part of it. But if Jesus is still the appointed saviour (as the New Testament teaches quite extensively and exclusively) then although I’m terribly imperfect, he can see my imperfections and hopefully see that I’m honest hearted and trying my best to put faith in him, which hopefully means he will allow me to receive eternal life. The latter sounds more like the kind of arrangement Id prefer to follow.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Awesome Timothy!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

And she will go, ''but...the faithful slave...the governing body...nowhere else to go''...

great letter Tomothy that unfortunatly will go right over her head i suspect.

Oz

• matt2414
    matt2414

Wow! That letter was well researched and nicely written. I hope the JW sister takes the time to think about and meditate on your sound reasoning, Timmy.

Sometimes when I have all those scriptures floating around in my head, I just have to ask myself a few questions in order to simplify matters: What kind of father would put his deformed child in the trash bin? What kind of father would conspire to kill his child because it was less than perfect? We would find such a parent dispicable and reprehensible. He would be an unfit parent, who, in all likelihood, would lose custody of the rest of his children.

Well that's the way many religious groups, and yes, even Jehovah's Witnesses, portray God. As if he is just so eager to throw away and even destroy his own children for their minor shortcomings. I can't imagine any loving parent threatening his or her child with death because of missing meetings, not going out in field service, not agreeing with the opinions of the elders, the GB or the "organization." Most parents don't even abandon their children if they learn they are gay. And yet, God is supposed to be more forgiving and more loving than us lowly, imperfect parents. The pictures in the WT publications with bodies strewn on the earth after their version of Armageddon is repulsive to any loving parent. It almost seems as if the "organization" is using the good-cop bad-cop strategy in order to get believers to comply. The "organization" is portrayed as something good, with our best interests at heart, while God is portrayed as the punisher, or bad, ready to pounce on anyone who doesn't follow in lock-step with the "organization."

It's their own version of the hellfire doctrine. But in reality, what adherents are failing to see, is that it's really a form of blashpemy.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Excellent stuff Timothy.

Just to play the devil's advocate, if I was your mother I might respond:

I agree with you Timothy, but Jesus said that wherever two or more are gathered in my name, there I am. And Paul said in Hebrews 10 to not forsake the gathering of ourselves together. So it is not about being in an 'organisation' rather it is about being in a 'gathering' or 'congregation' of like-minded Christians. What gathering of Christians, or congregation, do you belong to Timothy? Did not all the first century congregations gather together regularly in their homes?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Impressive reasoning Timmy.

Hoab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit