Matthew 5:9

by Snoozy 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Matthew 5:9 Says:
    Blessed are the peacemakers:for they shall be called the children of God.

And yet when I looked it up in the NWT it says:
    Happy are the Peaceable, since they will be called the 'sons of god.'

I was looking up info on the Sheriff Association as they have been calling a lot and saw this quote on their website..thought I would look it up as I wondered what the JW's would do with that scripture..

Snoozy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Children or sons, same difference it all depends if the translator wants to use inclusive language or not.

The greek word Huios can mean son, sons or children.

Oh, I just relaized the concern was the term "peaceables", LOL !

The word eirenopoios means - peacekepper or pacific.

I think it only appears in Matthew...

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

The point was that the Sheriff's association uses it to represent themselves as they are "Peacemakers"..This is one of their motto's on their site. I thought it cute because I couldn't see the JW bible putting anything in their bible that may indicate god would say the 'Peacemakers"..could possibly be 'children of god'..since they work for the Government..

http://www.modeputy.org/ (Bottom of page it quotes Matt 5:9)

I did find a few more references that showed other bible translaters used the wording like the JW's NWT but not many.

http://bible.cc/matthew/5-9.htm

Snoozy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, one can certainly argue that what Christ is saying is that those that are peacekeepers or pacific, are the children of God ( since God wants his children to love each other and be peaceful with each other) and that ANY that do this ARE God's perverbial children.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

So the Sheriff's/Police are actually "Children of God"..

Who do the JW's say runs the government?..

Snoozy..

Quote:"Witnesses believe that Satan is the ruler of the current world order, [ 154 ] that human society is influenced and misled by Satan and his demons, and that they are a cause of human suffering. [However, they do not believe that individual rulers or governments are under Satan's direct control"]

I found this interesting because that wasn't the impression I had growing up a witness..
    I did however know a witness lady that defied the witnesses and her alcoholic husband , whom the witnesses said she had to be submissive to when he beat her, became a security guard until she was required to have a gun..she ended up leaving the witnesses and getting a gun permit..got a job and left her pathetic wife beating alcoholic husband..found a new love and lived happily ever after..

Gotta love those peacemakers..

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Remember the story of the Roman Centurion?

His faith was so great that Christ commented that he had not found faith like that in all of Israel:

Luke 7
    Jesus Heals a Centurion’s Servant

1 When He had completed all His discourse in the hearing of the people, He went to Capernaum.

2 And a centurion’s slave, who was highly regarded by him, was sick and about to die. 3 When he heard about Jesus, he sent some Jewish elders asking Him to come and save the life of his slave. 4 When they came to Jesus, they earnestly implored Him, saying, “He is worthy for You to grant this to him; 5 for he loves our nation and it was he who built us our synagogue.” 6 Now Jesus started on His way with them; and when He was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to Him, “Lord, do not trouble Yourself further, for I am not worthy for You to come under my roof; 7 for this reason I did not even consider myself worthy to come to You, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8 For I also am a man placed under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it.” 9 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and turned and said to the crowd that was following Him, “I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith.” 10 When those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the slave in good health.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

WT 2/19 p19

19 The Greek term rendered “peaceable” at Matthew 5:9 literally means “peacemakers.” To be included among the peaceable, we must actively promote peace. Peacemakers do not do anything that ‘separates those familiar with one another.’ (Prov. 16:28) As the peaceable, we take positive steps to “pursue peace with all people.”—Heb. 12:14.

The WT encourages peaceful settling of disputes, a "mild answer" and all that ... It also advocates the greatest act of violence and slaughter that has ever been envisaged :

"Truth book" p 97

In the near future this preaching work will be finished. The door of opportunity will be closed. Then it will be too late!—Ezekiel 33:8, 9. 7 In frank terms the Scriptures reveal that, when this wicked system comes to its end, those slain by Jehovah will certainly come to be . . . from one end of the earth clear to the other end of the earth.” (Jeremiah 25:33)

Everybody else this week is thinking "Peace on Earth, good will to ALL men "

• wasblind
    wasblind

I could call the GB everything but, the sons of God

• ssn587
    ssn587

The Governing Body are sons alright son of b***hes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit