Is it fair to label everyone who quotes a scripture as "self-righteous ?

by caliber 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber

self-righteous...one definition......

Self-righteousness (also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness, a holier-than-thou attitude [1] ) is a feeling of (usually) smug moral superiority [2] derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person.

The term "self-righteous" is often considered derogatory (see, for example, journalist and essayist James Fallows' description of self-righteousness [3] in regards to Nobel Peace Prize winners) particularly because self-righteous individuals are often thought to exhibit hypocrisy due to the belief that humans are imperfect and can therefore never be infallible, an idea similar to that of the Freudian defense mechanism of reaction formation. The connection between self-righteousness and hypocrisy predates Freud's views, however, as evidenced by the 1899 book Good Mrs. Hypocrite: A Study in Self-Righteousness, by the pseudonymous author "Rita."

or criticism can be form of self-boasting (self-righteousness ) But does it not all come down to knowing the persons intent ... Are all persons

who take a bibical view smug ?

smug
    adj. smugĀ·ger, smugĀ·gest
    Exhibiting or feeling great or offensive satisfaction with oneself or with one's situation; self-righteously

• mamalove
    mamalove

It is all in the delivery....

Most certainly can be smug and self righteous, or the opposite.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

No, depends on how it's done. If they're quoting scripture as if it was fact, then I'd call them delusional, and if they're doing it to put you down, then the self-rightous label would also fit. But no problem with quoting it as literature.

• cofty
    cofty

If a believer quotes scripture with an assumption that others ought to take it as authoritative then probably yes.

• Bella15
    Bella15

I ditto the following from Cofty:

"If a believer quotes scripture with an assumption that others ought to take it as authoritative then probably yes."

So let's guard our hearts.

I like the advice from the bible ... not many of you should be teachers ... LOL!

Love you all ...

I am very happy today ...

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

The ones who I have encountered have all been self-righteous/sanctimonious. It's always been with a view of telling me I'm wrong or bad or whatever. I despise the Bible for one simple reason...I was verbally beaten with it my entire marriage. Every disagreement was met with a quoted scripture. For instance, an argument was always injected with "The squeezing of the nose is what brings forth blood, you know...that's what you're doing...you're squeezing my nose and you're causing this argument". Or the WONDERFUL (dripping sarcasm) account of the Capable Wife was thrown in my face as an example of juts how I was falling short.

So I tend to balk, get nauseated, get angry when someone tries to quote the Bible to me. I automatically see them as self-important and holier than thou.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Well, the church teaches that that the pope is infallible in many respects. My feeling is that the scripture quote has to do with the intent quoted. If someone is sharing a scripture as a peer, something that they found and wonder about it, I see no self-righteous. Those who Lord it over others, trying to prove their purity by quoting scripture are most definitely self-righteous. One way leads to discussion of scripture among peers. The other day leads to rolled eyes and feelings that someone needs some humility.

The Bible is freely available in western civilization. People are capable of reading it. I don't need a nonsense teacher.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Of course, it isn't, dear Caliber (peace to you!). But it is sword that cuts both ways: some who truly ARE self-righteous are never seen as such by those who revere them... and some who are not, may be seen as such simply because what they're quoting either tinges on another's feelings/conscience. Some are unable to give the benefit of the doubt (any longer) due to having dealt with "self-righteous" people previously; to such ones, any mention of certain things (considered "religious," "spiritual", "biblical", etc.) is considered to be self-righteous and coming from someone who is "self-righteous."

Sometimes... often... it's in the eye... or ear... of the beholder. Which doesn't make it accurate. Someone who is vritually the opposite of "self-righteous" can quote a scripture... and be THOUGHT as self-righteous simply because a scripture was involved. On the other hand, some who actually IS self-righteous can totally refrain from all that is "scriptural," never even referring to such.

One shouldn't take offense at being called "self-righteous" by others... if that isn't the case. Of course, one should always "examine" oneself... as to what others might be saying... to see if perhaps they are onto something. Sometimes they are... sometimes they aren't.

Since ALL are "sinners", though... no one is really in a position to BE self-righteous, though... although there are those who think they are.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Unless you're talking to believers, quoting scripture to make your side more convincing isn't helpful. It can feel like you think you're coming from the superior standpoint, like you're speaking for God himself and who can possibly stand up to God himself? You may not, or I may not be thinking that at all, in our approach, but it will seem that way sometimes to others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit