JW Works?

by jiutman 8 Replies latest jw friends

• jiutman
    jiutman

I have a JW friend who is constantly telling me he is in the truth. He always tells me that people will know Gods True "organization" by their works. He tells me about all the door to door stuff. My question is this. I have never read or seen where the WT or local JW congregations raise money or spend time for the homeless, widows, orphans, hospitals, single moms with children or the elderly. Isnt this what Jesus commanded us to do? My friend and I often get into very serious discussions. Can anyone help me? Anyone know of where the JW helps others? They can put up a Kingdon Hall in a few days but have they ever buitl a HUD home? Thanks.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

The JWs don't help with physical needs, silly! Note sarcasm
    I am sorry to inform you that while JWs claim love and good deeds they are in actuality, very selfish. They may not realize it but a carful look at them will reveal it. Helping anyones physical needs would be helping a pagan world-- that would be wrong, they think. They must first convert them and then help their brother or sister in the 'truth'. Unfortunately it kind of works as leverage and taking advantage of the disadvantaged too. They preach love and support but only for those in the organization-- anyone who wants that must convert. You are right about Jesus commanding to help peoples physical needs, though, and if you read you will notice that he does not say to only help the other believers-- he says help everyone.

If they truly want to be judged for their works, then fine, lets bring it on
    I'm not attempting to be cocky or selfrighteous here myself but JWs don't really mean it when they say to judge the true faith by it's works or fruit. They quickly change tunes when one points out the legions of false prophecies, changing doctrines, scandals, and hypocrisy, etc.... that exist in the Watchtower organization.
    If you would like to know about specific works/fruits of the WT I am sure myself and everyone else can enlighten you

As to the specific example of going door to door:
    that in and of itself means nothing. Mormons go door to door too but that doesn't make them the right faith. Christians used to go home to home as well but it has become associated with the cults now so we have taken other, less offensive ways to meet our neighbors and share God etc...

Any questions? feel free to email me <>< Angie

• jiutman
    jiutman

I will email you. thanks for your reply. Just wanted to know if there is anything the JW, WT does for the needy. Thanks

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

The brother of Jesus said:

"Religion [NW: form of worship] that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27, NIV

The Watchtower religion is faulty and impure; it cannot be acceptable to God. "Charity begins at home" you'll here them say, ignoring the slimness of the likelihood that widows and orphans will get help there. The next step, however, is not the congregation but caesar. So be it, but do the elders have training to help widows apply for death benefits, or to help orphans find a family to adopt them? Do their special meetings review how to help someone unemployed, even in the congregation, to find and fund retraining programs? Do they know where to point the poor who need help from the local food bank (likely run by the Salvation Army)? Do they give to that food bank, or do they join with Habitat for Humanity to build low-income housing?

What about pollution from the world? They argue that a voter may be considered responsible for the future bad acts of a candidate (W 99 11/15 QFR); are they in no way responsible for the misdeeds of corporations that have occured while they owned stock in them? (A tough standard, I agree, but they should be held up to the equivalent of what they require). Is voluntary UN NGO registration a good way to keep oneself without spot?

Until they conform to even this scripture, they can hardly proclaim themselves to be God's mouthpiece.

Bodhisattva

• Scully
    Scully

Individual JWs may support charitable organizations, with the proviso that the charitable organizations are not affiliated with "false religion", politics, or any other organization whose goals are in opposition to JW beliefs.

For instance, JWs may make donations to a fund for a family whose home and possessions have been destroyed in a fire. If the fund is being administered by a non-religious group, it's ok; otherwise it's not ok. They may send money to help people in disaster stricken areas, except when the fund is being administered by the Red Cross. They might buy a cup of coffee or a sandwich for a homeless person, but they wouldn't donate to the Catholic Mission Soup Kitchen that he frequents or the Salvation Army Thrift Store that a mother on welfare might shop for her kids' school clothes.

The Watchtower Society has no programs for assisting those in need either inside or outside the organization. All donations received by the WTS are used for the publication of literature, the acquisition and maintenance of property for the WTS. Any efforts to help members are initiatives of individual members, and no financial support is given to individual members by the organization. There are no JW/WTS shelters for the homeless. There are no soup-kitchens or second-hand clothing stores that are initiatives of the WTS.

JWs/WTS believe that the best thing they have to give to people is their religion. They don't understand that a hungry person is more apt to believe in God when they've been given a cup of warm broth and a few crackers, and the only thing a Watchtower can do for a homeless person is to keep the snow and rain from falling on their heads.

Love, Scully

In the desert things find a way to survive. Secrets are like this too. They work their way up through the sands of deception so men can know them. - The X Files

• Flip
    Flip
    ...if there is anything the JW, WT does for the needy

Jiut', the first thing you need to learn when discussing Jehovah's Witnesses, especially with another Jehovah's Witness, is; clearly define simple terms and perspective and try to come to some consensus first.

Otherwise cyclical argumentation will surely prevail. However, expect silence on the part of the Jehovah's Witness once a common ground begins to threaten a way out.

For starters, define 'needy', because there's a good chance the word means something entirely different to a Jehovah's Witness than to your self, whom I assume has never been one.

Flip

• willy_think
    willy_think

the WTB&T inc. teaches a between the lines theology of salvation not through faith or works or grace but through correct knowledge. this "truth" is the only way to salvation.
    "truth" is the current claims of the WT. that being the case the only "good work" a witness need do is to teach the WT doctrine. which is good because it's all they can do for "worldly" people without catching some form of shit for it.

"people will know Gods True "organization" by their works."
    that's just a slogan it doesn't matter to your friend that there are no accusal works. he's reciting a conditioned response in place of "proof."

• r51785
    r51785

As my grandfather used to say about the JW's, "they love each other but that's all."

• writerpen
    writerpen

I was raised a Witness and remained such until about six months ago. I'm 29 years old. I pioneered and remained very active throughout. Since having left, I've become involved in volunteer work - at a local animal shelter since September and about five weeks ago at a local church who feeds the homeless DAILY. I have never in all my years of JW work felt the satisfaction that I receive after each Saturday spent in that "soup kitchen." To have a homeless person come up to you and remember your name and be so happy and grateful for your help is absolutely PRICELESS. I'm just so sorry that I have been missing the point of helping people through the years.

"Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" - Negro spiritual

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit