Would Black America Support President Obama If He Were Atheist?

by Bangalore 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Would Black America Support President Obama If He Were Atheist?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-west-savali/obama-godless-atheism-2012_b_1106477.html

Bangalore

• Reader1
    Reader1

Yeah, not a chance.

There was a recent article in the National Post (Canada) where people were asked to rate trustworthiness. Atheists were rated less trustworthy than rapists.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Given the U.S.'s uber-religiousness... I don't think anyone but a handful of voters, black OR white, would vote for an atheist, dear Bang (peace to you!). Remember, the overall "climate" is that atheists are "evil"... or something like that.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

He might get a small black Nationalist type vote. The main body of black voters in the South would reject him. Obama first came to my attention when he addressed the convention that nominated John Kerry. He was still a state senator. I was shocked that at a small stature person was slated to give an address and was prepared to be bored. He chided Dems for not fighting back that they had a stronger claim to Christianity with the social gospel, and the key role of the black church in civil rights movement. There would be no movement without the black church as a source of inspiration and organization. The churches were the movement. He would lose all those southern votes.

Being a Christian progressive myself, I started yelling amen back to the TV screen. His message was so apropos I could not believe my ears. B/c all these church Dems were just not even beginning to assert themselves. They did not want to be tacky the way fundies are so they gave the ground to the fundies.

Obama was very ambitious. I think it is no accident that he chose religion as his subject matter. The entire convention came to attention. The next day people started talking about his being a presidential candidate --someday. The man is not stupid.

It is something to watch the tension between Obama and Jesse Jackson. Obama did not work up thru the traditional civil rights ranks and pay homage. It offended some. It is sad that his Chicago preacher was too controversial which made Obama clam up somewhat about the challenge to progressive Christians. He never said fundies were not Christian. Obama's call was to Progressive Christians not calling out proudly that they believed in Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit