The Manna of Music

by Londo111 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Reading DNCall's experienced today got me to thinking about the "Kingdom Melodies". When I was In, I often felt like the Israelites did toward manna, and felt guilty about it. This was reinforced as a child when I expressed my opinion toward the songs and my father gave me 'correction' by literally kicking me in the behind.

But I really came to believe we had the 'manna of music'. The Israelites called manna contemptible bread, even though it tasted sweet. But it was pretty much the same day in and day out. Sweet, bland, boring, very basic. At least, the Israelites didn't make alphabet soup out of manna and use it to quote the Law. And when they saw manna for the first time, they said, "Manna?", that is, "What is it?" And the name stuck. Likewise, with some of the "Kingdom Melodies".

And what wretched tortured lyrics! Didn't we read enough of the Watchtower--so why did we have to sing it? At the very least, we didn't have to sing about the 1260 days.

Don't get me wrong, I did like a handful of songs--say, the Victory Song. And some had a catchy tune, but often it was so repetitious that it got old, very fast. What I never understood is if we had an international brotherhood, then why wasn't that reflected culturally in the music? I yearned for variety--and the whole songbook had a homogenized, sterile style.

I kept picturing David coming back in the resurrection, listening to a 'Kingdom Song' and saying, "I can't dance to this! Let me show you how to jam."

I was envious at "Babylon", whenever I heard snippets, because it seemed they had way better music than we did, especially old-time gospel choirs.

I have vague memories of the pink songbook, and then followed by the 'Sing Praises'. I much preferred the orchestral version they played at Assemblies. Even so, it lacked the depth of Bach or Chopin or Beethoven, no matter how dressed up it was. Sometimes, when I listen to Performance Today, I have heard two little snippets from classical compositions that seem to 'inspiration' of some the 'Kingdom' tunes.

Now, I think the latest songbook is utterly abysmal! It sounds like an off-off-Broadway showtune reject. And whatever older songs survived were changed so as to be off-kilter. Sometimes the words were familiar and the tune was different, and sometimes the tune was family and the words were all different--I would end up singing the old words. It seemed like such a boondoggle. More sterile, more homogenized.

Of course, it was a 'sin' to say anything than how great the new songs were. It really feels good to be able to openly say this at last!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Now, I think the latest songbook is utterly abysmal! It sounds like an off-off-Broadway showtune reject. And whatever older songs survived were changed so as to be off-kilter. Sometimes the words were familiar and the tune was different, and sometimes the tune was family and the words were all different--I would end up singing the old words. It seemed like such a boondoggle. More sterile, more homogenized.

Hear, hear! I liked the way the brown songbook reintroduced some of the old, rousing 'fighting' songs from the red songbook (the one before the pink one) like the Victory Song. Yes there were some real duds in the brown one, but at least the piano player put some feeling into his/her playing which helped set the mood for the congo. And yes, there were some songs that were a challenge to sing, but that made them more interesting.

This newest songbook has killed it for me. It used to be that, after the humdrum talks or irritation with somebody's nonsense comments, more often than not there was some enjoyment in singing the songs. Not any more. The piano playing is usually robotic; what were stirring songs before have either been slowed down, or sections cut out, or otherwise meddled with so that any little fire they once had has been snuffed out. I hate the way they have altered long-time favorites beyond recognition - or kept a little of the familiar tune while changing everything else. Ugh - the songs they've ruined! Anyway, I've joined a 'worldly' choir now. What a difference! :-D

• stillin
    stillin

I have found that great music is almost a sacrament, and that good musicians are almost priests. The music threads on here restore my confidence in some of the witnesses who are still in, that with one ear they still hear some of the stuff being recorded these days and that someday they will immerse themselves in the pleasure.

They certainly aren't getting it at the KH

• Londo111
    Londo111

AnnOMaly,

If you sing like you do research, consider me a fan! :)

• Londo111
    Londo111

Did I mention how much I hated "Kingdom" songs? Well, I did like a handful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit