Christopher Hitchens: Trial of the Will

by leavingwt 8 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Not an easy read.

Reviewing familiar principles and maxims in the face of mortal illness, Christopher Hitchens has found one of them increasingly ridiculous: “Whatever doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.”

"I am typing this having just had an injection to try to reduce the pain in my arms, hands, and fingers. The chief side effect of this pain is numbness in the extremities, filling me with the not irrational fear that I shall lose the ability to write. Without that ability, I feel sure in advance, my “will to live” would be hugely attenuated. I often grandly say that writing is not just my living and my livelihood but my very life, and it’s true. Almost like the threatened loss of my voice, which is currently being alleviated by some temporary injections into my vocal folds, I feel my personality and identity dissolving as I contemplate dead hands and the loss of the transmission belts that connect me to writing and thinking."

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/01/hitchens-201201

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

His situation isn't as bad as this.

I'd say, he's still got a lot to live for. In view of his mortality, should he ask "what's next?"

I wonder if he'll fall into Pascal's wager.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Reading that article it seems that Christopher doesn't realize that in many ways it HAS made him stronger.

He reads understandably bitter and hurt and spiteful, all very rational and normal ways of dealing with such a horrific illness.

I am glad he is still writing and hope that things will turn around for him.

I'd say that I am praying for him but that would just piss him off ;)

• unshackled
    unshackled

I'd say that I am praying for him but that would just piss him off ;)

Haha...good one PSac.

Thanks for posting this Donny. Tough read indeed.

• Terry
    Terry

I have always paid attention when Hitchens has spoken or written something. He isn't shrill. Just the opposite. His animadversions are centered on a practical view of personal responsibility. He doesn't tilt at windmills.

When he took on Mother Theresa a lot of people wrote him off immediately because they did NOT WISH to know if there was any real basis for his

calumny. And that is why we need a Christopher Hitchens; to confront us with truths we do not wish to know.

Intellectual honesty is rarer than we desire to admit to ourselves.

• glenster
  • cofty
    cofty

I wonder if he'll fall into Pascal's wager.

He won't.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

@PSac - how's his new writing any different from his pre-death-sentence writing? It's always been bitter, hurt, spiteful and like Dawkins, hateful.

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

I'm a huge fan of Hitchens, both as a journalist and an amateur philosopher. I specifically liked...

"I do, still, try to nurture that little flame of curiosity and defiance: willing to play out the string to the end and wishing to be spared nothing that properly belongs to a life span."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit