Has anyone learned how to read hebrew?

by EndofMysteries 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

If so, did you take a class, use a program, and how long or how many hours of study/learning would it realistically take to be able to read the bible in Hebrew from when you begin to learn?

I am trying to decide if it's something I want to pursue since bible translations and even interlinears seem to cloud out some key messages and phrases.

• witness2witness
    witness2witness

I went through Hebrew last year at the Master's level (I am currently in seminary). Honestly, after taking the two terms of grammar, and then taking a term of interpretation (exegesis), I still do not feel as though I "know" it. If I actually wanted to become anywhere near proficient, it would take a few years of intense study, with the aid of a good instructor. Right now I am taking Greek and am hoping to have more success.

Depending on where you live, you could possibly take Hebrew from a seminary (although, if you do not have a Bachelors Degree already, you would have to take it as an auditor).

One thing I will assert, though, is that after studying a year of Hebrew (and now, going on to my 2nd term in Greek), I think that we often minimize the English translations that we currently have. Yes, there is GREAT VALUE in learning the original language, and I would not trade this experience. However, aside from nuance (i.e., aspects of the text that will only appear because of reading in the original), the English translations are very sound, and can be held to a high level of security (this is assuming that one is working with a good translation).

I can (dogmatically) assert this, that the emphasis that I would formally place on "word studies" has completely gone out the window. Aside from their context, a word don't mean SQUAT! If you are sticking with a NASB or ESV, you will have no problem in your intepretation!

Hope that helps.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I second that thought. Go with Greek. Seems less of a pain to me. Hebrew reads right to left!

• witness2witness
    witness2witness

Greek is very useful, as one can (obviously) study through the New Testament, but also, the Septuagint (which most scholars argue was the bible that a 1st century Jew would have used anyway). Honestly, reading Right to Left was not that difficult (in Hebrew). It's just that in Hebrew there is little to no point of contact with English, whereas with Greek, there is a closer starting point...although, TRUST ME...This does not make it "easier." I actually got a better grade in my first Hebrew grammar class then I did in my first Greek grammar class, and I worked MUCH HARDER at Greek.

Since Hebrew is a Semitic language (and biblical Hebrew being a dead language for MANY years), you really need to have the aid of a tutor.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I just know how to read "Brew"..

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The old testament wasn't written in Greek though, and everything in the new testament has it's roots in the old testament, except the gospels which only have some quotes from it. The whole book of Revelation is like an outline or possibly putting together pieces of a puzzle from all the prophet books.

The real reason I want to learn it, and maybe I should have asked this as the question, is to also understand all the hebrew names, what they mean, and to read the old testament without having all the words which equate God/Lord/Jehovah etc translated to those few words, to see them in original form, as I strongly suspect there has been a big mixup in those based on assumptions.

For the hebrew names, I've seen possibly more messages and in a sense coded meanings based on what the words mean. Unless there exists a bible or translation where instead of having the names it translates what the names mean or puts the meaning of the names in quotes.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

EndofMysteries, I have a working knowledge of Hebrew. I took a year course. This satisfied my need, being able to refer to Dictionaries, Lexicons and Theological articles. Like Witness2Witness says, it's a full time job, and hard work.

First the alphabet, then the right to left, then aspect/tense. What I found especially difficult were the derived stem formations. Seven main: Qal, piel, hiphel, hithpael, hophal, pual, niphal. These have a basic meaning, also active and reflexive. Some of them are intensive/causative. A lot of memorizing involved with the different prefixes, suffixes, etc. You've got to learn each one for sing., 1st person I, second person you, third person, he or she, then the plurals.

A Rabbi put it this way: Reading a translation from the Hebrew is like kissing your bride through a veil. It's not the real thing. I found it to be worth while. I would encourage anyone to do it. Learning (developing the brain) is good. An eye opener were the theophoric compound names. These are names that are combined with the Tetragrammaton or God. A study field on its own. Also what it tells one about the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton, e.g. Yehonatan vs. Netanyahu. Both mean "given by YHWH", but notice the different pronunciations of the Tetragrammaton: Yeho- vs. -yahu. This indicates a dual pronunciation. My hypothesis on this is called "the Albright-Reisel Hypothesis."

While you tackle the Hebrew, do the Greek, also a mine of information. Feel free to air your queries. I will do my best to answer.

• blondie
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

EndofMysteries, I forgot to mention, there are wonderful computer programs out there that can assist. I use Logos, an extensive library program, and BibleWorks, more of a technical, analytical program. Unfortunately somewhat expensive, but worth one's while to save up for them. To me, absolutely undispensable.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Thanks for the replies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit