Catching the Manipulation in Sunday’s Watchtower Article

by Butterflyleia85 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Inspired by many on JWN board, my goal is to every Sunday study the article and find the manipulative parts. If you would like to join me that would be great! We can then find them together and then find what the scriptures or insights truly means with research, our own understanding, or maybe how it should be interpreted to one’s self. The benefit here is yes we have Critical Thinking Skills and/or we have the power of Holy Spirit.

Please ALL comments are welcome, for example:

For ones believing in God who uses prayer and Holy Spirit, others scriptures or interpretations are welcome!

For ones who don’t believe in God but enjoy theology using the scripture insight for their ethical principles, other sources, quotes, or words of wisdom are welcome!

Watchtower (Study) — September 15, 2011 for November 21-27

Is Your Recreation Beneficial

{paragraph 3, 4, 5} 3 Those who have a balanced view of recreation allow for diversity yet also recognize the need for limitations. Why so? To answer, let us compare entertainment with food. Popular dishes differ from one part of the world to another. In fact, what people in one area relish may be unappetizing to people elsewhere. In a similar manner, what Christians in one part of the world view as pleasant recreation may not be appealing to Christians elsewhere. Even among Christians living in the same area, what one may view as relaxing (perhaps curling up with a good book), another may view as boring; what one may view as refreshing (perhaps sightseeing on a bicycle), another may view as exhausting. Still, we accept that in such matters as food and recreation, there is room for diversity and personal preference.—Rom.14:2-4.

4 However, we also realize that allowing for diversity in recreation is not a license to indulge oneself. To illustrate, consider again the example of food. Though we may be willing to eat a variety of foods, we would not deliberately consume food that is rotten.

Eating such food would go against common sense and could endanger our health. Similarly, though we may be open to a variety of forms of wholesome entertainment, we would not pursue leisure activities that are life-threatening, violent, or morally rotten. Engaging in such activities would go against Bible principles and would endanger our physical or spiritual health. To make sure that we stay within reasonable limits, we do well to determine in advance whether some recreation that appeals to us is beneficial or not. (Eph. 5:10) How can we do so?

5 For recreation to benefit us and be pleasing in Jehovah’s eyes, it needs to meet specific standards set out in God’s Word. (Ps. 86:11) To determine whether that is the case regarding a type of recreation you may like, you might consult a simple checklist. The list is made up of three questions that can be summed up in the words what, when, and who. Let us consider them one at a time.

My examination is: If you just read this article alone not knowing what Jehovah’s Witness believe you would agree but when you do farther investigation on what they truly mean you would be surprised of the limitations they truly are referring too and accustom too. With all the studying and service meetings they do they really don’t have much time to pursue much to begin with.

Ah but in this article the Jehovah’s Witnesses are given a break for once, but still want to tell them there are limitations. This is article I found is focusing on the youth… or is it really? What Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t realize is that they are sheltering themselves from reality. Yes we don’t want to numb ourselves to what is wicked and horrible but we don’t want to be ignorant to what is out there and what we can learn from them. Ok now as far as entertainment and recreation, where will we be if we didn’t have athletics, musicians, actors, and folktale. Using imagination and creativity, the gift given by God. Perusing such things makes it greater in its development! Yes we can still be good Christians too.

{paragraph 8} 8 For instance, you may like sports, and that attraction is easily understood. Sports can be fun and exciting. What, though, if you are attracted to certain sports because of their aggressive competitiveness, excessive risk taking, high rates of injury, riotous celebrations, nationalistic fervor, or similar “ingredients”? After examining what is involved, you would likely decide that it would be hard to harmonize your thinking with Jehovah’s way of thinking and with the message of peace and love that we preach to others. (Isa. 61:1; Gal. 5:19-21) On the other hand, if a certain leisure activity is made up of “ingredients” that are wholesome in Jehovah’s eyes, then such recreation may well be beneficial and refreshing to you.—Gal. 5:22, 23; read Philippians 4:8.

My examination is: “Aggressive competitiveness” ok yeah but what about a balanced view of competiveness. Looking at the term:

Competition is a contest between individuals, groups, animals, etc. for territory, a niche, or a location of resources. It arises whenever two and only two strive for a goal which cannot be shared. Competition occurs naturally between living organisms which co-exist in the same environment. For example, animals compete over water supplies, food, mates, and other biological resources. Humans compete for water, food, and mates, though when these needs are met deep rivalries often arise over the pursuit of wealth, prestige, and fame. Business is often associated with competition as most companies are in competition with at least one other firm over the same group of customers.

Wikipedia.com

{Paragraph 12} 12 So, then, when it comes to spending time on recreation, we do well to count the cost in advance. (Luke 14:28)We need to determine how much of our time a certain leisure activity will cost. Next, we must decide how much of our time it is worth. If pursuing a form of recreation will mean neglecting such important activities as personal Bible study, family worship, attending Christian meetings, or sharing in Kingdom preaching, it is not worth the price. (Mark 8:36) But if an occasional leisure activity energizes us to keep on pursuing Kingdom interests, we may well decide that the time we spend on that type of recreation is worthwhile.

My examination is: If you read the other articles they already guilt them into pursuing “Kingdom interest” first (Jehovah’s Witnesses or Governing Body work that keeps there organization rolling) and now they are reminding them of the cost. What is the cost? The cost of disfellowshipment and being exposed to “apostate” or thinking for themselves when they pursue a normal life.

{Paragraph 14} 14 Following Jesus’ example in choosing companions will be very helpful. From creation onward, Jesus had a love for humans. (Prov. 8:31) While on earth,

he showed loving consideration for all kinds of people. (Matt. 15:29-37) However, Jesus drew a line between being friendly and being a close friend. While he was friendly toward people in general, he was a close friend only to those who met specific requirements. Speaking to his 11 faithful apostles, Jesus stated: “You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.” (John 15:14; see also John 13:27, 30.) The only individuals whom Jesus embraced as friends were those who followed him and served Jehovah.

My examination is: So does Jehovah’s Witnesses compare themselves perfect now? In righteous standing equal to Jesus? That they have the better judgment to choose their friends based on their obedience to their command? I think not. Don’t buy into the wording, for Jesus loves us all, that he died for us!! Let Jesus be are guide alone! Yes we do need to be careful of our friendships but we are nothing like Jesus who was perfect and neither are our friends. Look at what friendships are for and different types here- http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/friendship/

If you think about your life some friends hold a different portion in your life. I personally have girlfriends, work friends, mom friends, workout friends, my family friends… each one holding a special place in my life but I don’t expect them to hold the same morals or values as I do and yes I consider them my friends.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

100% manipulation Butterfly!

this is just another advert to do more. Question everything you do to ensure you're staying depressed and not enjoying life as a JW.

There's only one way I ever interpret these shed loads of propaganda........and sorry for the repeat but................

Obey the Governing Body and DO MORE or Jehovah will lovingly murder us SOON* (Using anti-matter from Alcyone). How Happifying.

*(Terms and conditions apply and are subject to 'overlapping' or ‘New Light’™or which ever makes the GB appear much higher than God!)

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

This brings back memories of JW articles while I was growing up...do you notice that they list the

"positive" things about a subject ALWAYS followed by another paragraph starting with, However.

Yes, college may be able to get you a better job, etc.. However, you'll probably become an alcoholic,

commit fornication and die of AIDS; that is, if the New System doesn't save you first.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Ok so I forgot to change the right source that was last weeks article source I posted... obviously if you look at the date you would be like... "ummm I think that was last weeks hun" lol

Study Article is for November 28 - December 4

from the October 15, 2011 Watchtower!

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Haha funny punkof nice, thanks for your comment!

I know what you mean Diana! Ugh they always ruined everthing for sure. They would say ok yes with a big Buuuutt...

I remember one Overseer making a comment at our meeting he was saying how God favored this brother that worked a part time job and was a full pineer over another brother that went to college for four years and became a doctor.... wow how rude, they were both their while their parents were bragging to the overseer about this at a convention. He brought this up at his talk to exclaim how he felt that this brother stored more treasures in heaven, etc.

I was thinking wow well regardless I want to go to school and become a Architect or at least get into a good career where I am doing what I enjoy... Design Technology.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Yes we don’t want to numb ourselves to what is wicked and horrible but we don’t want to be ignorant to what is out there and what we can learn from them.

And they wonder why so many of their kids explode when they leave home and enter the real world.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I love that picture w/ Feb 2012, I think for all key articles should just 'fix' the WT covers, for example the July 2009 awake, etc, key articles we need to remember. July 2009 awake caption, "examine all other religions under a microscope on their bible teachings but blindly have faith in the GB for theirs".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Punk....That is so Brilliant ! It says exactly what the real message of dubdom is all about..

This article is 18 paragraphs of manipulation , or in fact, direct orders about what to do, when to do it and who to do it with.. In fact I have known some hard liners who would accept that with pride (we are so looked after!)

para 18 concluded "let us strive to do the right thing at the right time with the right people"...Exactly as they are told...

Truth is, most dubs assume it does not apply to them and ignore it..

• St George of England
    St George of England

Never mind. Next week we are back to sex and marriage/singleness again.

Should be a hoot with our young single WT study conductor

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit