Variance On College

by metatron 8 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

There seem to be some more upscale congregations in which the college thing is no big deal as long as the Witness kids live at home and at least pretend to be Witnesses. This includes Bachelors degrees in tech subjects, not just 2 years of nursing.

There might be some realization that, in rich areas, congegations aren't viable without education.

metatron

• ziddina
    ziddina

In a way, it's unfortunate that the Watchtower Corporation's edicts against higher education won't be obeyed by all the Jehovah's Witnesses...

I say "unfortunate", because the lack of higher educations means financial difficulties for the average JW, and a corresponding DROP IN CONTRIBUTIONS...

Of course, there will always be the poor widow who gives away her last means of support, but generally, no money coming in would hasten the demise or obscurity of the Watchtower...

Zid

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

This is true. When I would travel to congregations in richer areas, be it in certain areas of california or florida, I was always surprised to find out how many of the elders and ministerial servants made healthy livings and had college degrees. But in more rural areas, education is a sign of weakness.

• TheOutSpoken1
    TheOutSpoken1

They claim that they have "rules" on attending college but its a total lie.

I used to go to a cong. that was in an affluent part of the town...all the college aged kids were actively persuing a college degree including myself. One elder was a doctor, and a handfull of others had Bachelors or Masters degrees. We've since moved to a congregation where most people are 42 y/o or older and the total attitude toward college is extremely to the left. They still believe you can make a living in a metropolitian city on a trade school job. There is a stark difference in location and attitude towards education.

Im glad people are getting college educated....less money for the WT!

They deserve it, you dont see the C.O. visiting congregations and paying past due mortages, light bills, and medical expenses of "faithfull servants" do you? No they are the main ones receiving green handshakes from struggling bible thumpers! Meanwhile the WT has a surplus of money numbering in the hundreds of millions....SMH

They could never get me to buy into just getting a trade......I wanna eat steak and shrimp every night! Advanced degree=Me!

• simon17
    simon17

This is true. When I would travel to congregations in richer areas, be it in certain areas of california or florida, I was always surprised to find out how many of the elders and ministerial servants made healthy livings and had college degrees. But in more rural areas, education is a sign of weakness.

+1, where I live, going to college was not universal but it was pretty normal as long as you lived at home and didn't totally slack off. We got the 'education' talk from basically every talk during the circuit assemblies but in the congregation level it was not discouraged at all.

• 2tone
    2tone

Thats a good. Those people who get education will eventually quit the religion. I dont believe the money they get from there better jobs they will just waste on the organization. There too smart for that

• james_woods
    james_woods

I did this. It was accepted because my non-JW grandfather paid for it and I told everybody that it was "the wishes of my elders".

They pretty much put up with my family because we had money and I pretty much kept my moth shut on the small shit.

Until, of course...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It shows that education may bring a grain of salt (or many) to WT prohibitions. If you are very literate, you can comb through all the literature, perhaps talk to someone at Bethel, give a large donation, and do what you want to do.

Sadly, rank and file members rely on the text of the WT or what is said by any brother on the platform. I wonder if they understand conscience matters.

This reminds me of the draft in the 1960s. The middle class could afford selective service lawyers or a well funded vacation in Canada or some other cool country. There were so many exemptions. With the exception of the South which has always cherished military tradition, most of the draftees were poor black and Latinos. It is a good thing we switched to a volunteer service b/c from what I've heard, today's service is very high tech.

Money should not determine whether you live or die. Neither should it determine your life style choices, such as education. I've met many people who will starve themselves to pay for private school tuition b/c their parents did it for them.

When I was young, an older brother was d'f'd for a blood transfusion. He was reinstated quickly to great applause. If the big A is no longer so imminent, why not risk it for a better life. Most religions would welcome the various insights education would bring. The trades would also be nice.

• undercover
    undercover

the lack of higher educations means financial difficulties for the average JW, and a corresponding DROP IN CONTRIBUTIONS...

OTOH... a college education is an opputunity for a person to see the real outside world; to be come enlightened, awakened, and eventually an ex-JW...which results in corresponding ZERO CONTRIBUTIONS. Which is better(in the WTS eyes)? To accept pennies and nickels from uneducated, underpaid believers or get nothing from those that wake up to the lie...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit