Memorial for Disfellowshipped or Inactive members of WTB&TS

by trillaz 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• trillaz
    trillaz

I've never heard of someone who was disfellowshipped having a memorial announced for a KH. I can't recall inactive either. What are other's experiences? Do these ones, if they have not signed up with some other religion, end up being abandonded from having anyone conduct their funeral?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I think most likely they will not have Memorial for Df'd or Inactive people at the KH, but it can depend what local BOE thinks about it otherwise.

• ~Question With Boldness~
    ~Question With Boldness~

I seem to remember a Watchtower article on the subject, something to the effect of "funeral services for the disfellowshipped" would not be advisable because it would be giving the impression that their "wrong behavior" was acceptable... I'll see if I can find the article and then post it...

• ~Question With Boldness~
    ~Question With Boldness~

Ok, I found this quoted;

Watchtower 1977 June 1 p. 347 Mourning and Funerals-For Whom? "In "Questions from Readers" (The Watchtower, 1961, p. 544) the position was taken that a funeral for a disfellowshiped person was improper. The comment was made: "We never want to give the impression to outsiders that a disfellowshiped person was acceptable in the congregation when in truth and in fact he was not acceptable but had been disfellowshiped from it." ? A Christian congregation would not want its good name besmirched by having it associated with any to whom 2 John 9, 10 applied, even in their death."

It is from 1977 so I don't know if this has changed...

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I got heat for conducting a memorial for an Ex Jw Aids victim at a funeral home. The grieving family was turned down by a number of Elders worried about position. Screw 'em.

• trillaz
    trillaz

I applaud you Balaamsass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit