What is in a name?

by sabastious 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

If God is a person then he has a personal Name. That is an arguement that bounces around in my memory like an echo in a metal hallway. "A Name is the most important thing." In fact it's so important that the entire life of a Jehovah's Witness is devoted to the restoration of God's personal Name, Jehovah.

As I sit here and write, my family surrounds me in the city I grew up in. What does the sound of my name bring out in them? In truth: sadness, anger, blind hope and contempt. Every day I have to remind myself that they are not correct. It is a challenge as I believe the fact that they share my blood creates some unexplainable connection. They also have a collective Name: family.

Jehovah's Witnesses focus on the Name's of everything. They compartmentalize reality and the title's of those compartments are actually Names. Another word for Name is Brand and that's the particular word that describes what the Watchtower is much more than the word Name. A Brand is a unique formula that is constantly being added to.

Instead of seeing the reality of the matter my family has chosen a manufactured Brand with a bad name, Apostate, and then assigned my face to it in their minds. That way, they have control which is the ultimate goal. Control over what you may ask? Themselves and their manufactured reality.

The paradox is that humans feel out of control, ever. We are always in control of our own person and that person's choices. Choices define a life.

If a person makes choices based off a Brand then they are actually living their worst nightmare. At that point they become out of control of themselves because they have handed their choices off to some other entity. That is about is "out of control" as one can get.

-Sab

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Sad but true, Sabastious!

If a person makes choices based off a Brand then they are actually living their worst nightmare. At that point they become out of control of themselves because they have handed their choices off to some other entity

It seems to me that jws don't want to be in control in that way. They are comfortable with other fallible humans telling them what to do, think, believe, and even how to feel about it. At least then they "belong". Anything that challenges this is a labelled "threat", or "Satan".

Retro, of the Bad Association Brand

• N.drew
    N.drew

"It seems to me that jws don't want to be in control in that way. They are comfortable with other fallible humans telling them what to do, think, believe, and even how to feel about it."

That might be true. At one time I believed the JWs were really directed by God's Spirit. One Saturday I met the Book Study Group for the field service. The conductor did not show. We were a small group of about five I think, but no one had a territory, so we went home. I was shocked. If God was so concerned about saving souls, lets just go out and find some. I thought that was logical. I didn't say that, I just went home like the others did. But it made no sense to me.

sabastious thank you for posting that. It is one perspective.

"As I sit here and write, my family surrounds me in the city I grew up in. What does the sound of my name bring out in them? In truth: sadness, anger, blind hope and contempt."

I hope from heaven's perspective you might add wonder to that list. Curiosity too. Contemplation (like Jesus' mother Mary), I hope so. Your hope for them is true. Their hope is artificial. People get tired of fake. I hope that your family gets tired of faking it soon.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

N Drew, Nobody had any RV's???? Not even a laundromat near a donut shop????? WOW

• N.drew
    N.drew

Exactly! I did not argue, I wanted to go home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit