My Favorite Book About Bethel by Randy Watters

by Dogpatch 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Randy Watters

Vignettes of this famous author's life, as reviewed from her out-of-print book, "Visions of Glory--A History and a Memory of Jehovah's Witnesses" (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1978). Barbara gave exclusive rights to her book to Randy just months before she passed away in 2002. The whole book is available as a PDF download from the Free Minds Store.

CHAPTERS (only partial clips from each chapter)

N. H. Knorr, Bethel, and Jews - Barbara was personally acquainted with the Watchtower's third president, Nathan Knorr. Knorr could be nasty.

God can't kill Arnold - Barbara discovers a man of real love for others and herself.

Bloody Religion - Barbara learns to walk a tightrope from an early age.

Celibacy - Witnesses frown on marriage in the 40s.

Masturbation - Barbara learns about "unnatural acts."

Transfusions - Vaccinations, transfusions, and the grief of a parent losing her children, then viewed as "apostate" for that grief.

Unevenly Yoked - Barbara's mother was a Witness, her father was not. What the "unbeliever" and the child go through in the process.

Charity and Goodness - Witnesses are taught to avoid the charities of the world.

The Yellow Convertible, and Mike - Barbara discovers the lack of joy in everything.

Bethel - "Nobody ever told me that all believers doubt, or that the logical consequence of the possession of free will is to question, or that even mystics have at times felt abandoned by the God they adore; what a lot of misery it would have saved me if someone had told me."

Leaving - "I could not foresee the consequences of leaving; but I knew that the act itself was necessary, that I must not try to anticipate the consequences, and that the consequences of not acting would be worse than anything that might happen to me afterward."

Visions of Glory

Barbara discovers there "is no voluntary resignation in the organization."

There is no voluntary resignation in our organization, Covington told a jury in the Moyle case.

For years after I left Bethel, I dreamed that I was back in the antiseptic halls of the Watchtower residence, fighting to find a way out. At each EXIT sign a Witness stood, smiling, barring my way: "There is no way out.' The dream was trite; my fear was fresh and vivid and palpable.

Since my departure, I have had a series of strange encounters with Watchtower elders, each one puzzling, each one a walking version of the stale nightmare.

On Christmas Day, 1968, a member of the Watchtower headquarters staff rang my doorbell and asked, "Are you Connie Grizzuti's daughter who used to be associated with the Lord's sheep?" I leaped at once to the conclusion that something had happened to my mother. I had thought that I was 'killing" my mother by leaving her religion; the appearance of that man one Christmas— the holiday we had regarded as devilish and abominable, the holiday that had drawn my mother and me together in sisterly mutual defiance of the world— triggered the guilt I had never been able to expiate. My mother is dead, I thought; I really have killed her.

The reality, less awful, was quite odd enough: "It has come to our attention," the man said, "that in 1963 you were observed making obeisance in the Shiva temple in Warangal, India. You are also known to have made the sign of the cross while passing a Roman Catholic Church in Guatemala City. These are grounds for disfellowshipping. If you can prove, before a group of elders, that you are innocent of the charges, disfellowshipping charges will be halted. If we remain convinced of your guilt, you may be reinstated in the Lord's organization if you beg forgiveness. If we judge you guilty and you do not confess, you will be disfellowshipped. If you refuse to appear before the elders, you will be automatically disfellowshipped."

Odd indeed. There was this silly, but somehow sinister, man underneath my Christmas tree (in itself proof of perfidy), and there were my children, looking no less startled than if Santa Claus himself had popped out of the chimney. And there was I, feeling menaced, understanding the absurdity of such feelings, but nonetheless frightened.

I said, "Wouldn't it be redundant to disfellowship me? After all, I left ten years ago of my own accord." He said, "But you can't leave. You can never leave us. We can expel you. But you, having been baptized into The Truth, are one of us until we say you're not."

I declined—I did not have the reporter's avarice for collecting facts or experience then— to appear before the elders. And I was frightened. (I did rather mischievously offer him some Christmas punch, which he waved away with a shudder of distaste.)

They did not disfellowship me; I don't know why. A friend who once worked in the "Service Department" of Bethel, which handles disfellowshipping procedures, suggests that some technicality may have gotten in the way. Perhaps somewhere along the line, a technical procedure had been violated. In any case, I was left to wonder if they had spies who followed former Witnesses around the world to collect evidence.

It was not until 1974 that I was paid another official visit.

Years before, I had converted a young Brooklyn girl who had later married a Bethelite. They had been assigned to circuit overseer work in Alabama. Lee and Donald, having returned from their assignment, came to pay me a "friendly visit." I had fond memories of them both. I remembered Lee as a spunky, sweet, feisty kid, not overly serious, given to easy laughter. Donald, twenty years her senior, had had impressive reserve and movie-star-perfect good looks. He was serious about everything. We'd had, before he met Lee, a couple of dates. He was courteous, contained, formal. We went roller-skating; he was austere even in a roller-skating rink. (I liked him.) He did nothing casually; I should not have been surprised when he said, in firm, measured tones— spacing each word to give it weight— "I'd like this relationship to deepen beyond friendship." But I was taken aback by what seemed, even for a repressed Bethelite, to be an overly calculated approach to romance. I made one of those hopelessly inadequate, awkward speeches that begins, "I like you too much to encourage you...." Still, I had been flattered, and I could not but regard him with affection.

I had not seen either of them for close to twenty years. The years had added dignity to Donald's almost-too-regular features; he was, if anything, more handsome than ever. Tomboy Lee had taken on some of her husbands coloration; she too now spoke in firm, measured tones, and I missed her careless spontaneity. She was dressed in what is called a matrons "ensemble," everything matching. She took in my cluttered living room with a swift, practiced glance and said, "It looks like a writer's house." (I took that as a reproach.) There was perfunctory conversation.

The first thing Donald said was that he hadn't come to "blackmail" or to ''spank," me. He spoke of the "rife immorality" in the world today and requested my 11-year-old daughter, who was finding all of this fascinating, to leave the room so that he could discuss rife immorality. I replied that there was not much that could surprise my daughter (who had meanwhile kicked me in the shins to signal her unwillingness to depart) and that I felt perfectly free to speak in front of her.

Donald: "Do you consider yourself one of Jehovah's Witnesses?"

B. H.: "Of course not. "

Donald: "What would you like the congregations to think of you?"

B.H.: "What they think of me is up to them, surely."

Donald: "When you were baptized into the New World Society you took up citizenship in a new order. Are you renouncing your citizenship?"

To that question I had no ready answer; it seemed preposterous that anyone should ask it.

Donald: "There are several reasons for leaving The Truth. One, you reject doctrine. Two, you have had personal conflicts with individual Witnesses or with the organization. Three, you have committed immoral acts and your shame keeps you away. Which of these reasons applies to you?"

I shrank from the inquisition. I had looked forward to seeing Lee and Donald—partly out of curiosity; partly out of a notion that, once friends, we could find common ground; and partly, I guess, out of arrogance. Perhaps if I explained myself, I might be able to dent their certainty. I did want to explain myself. My tentative efforts were impatiently received by Donald. He parried everything I said with Scripture. Donald seemed genuinely to believe that people's motives were always clear to them.

"Did you know what you were doing when you were baptized?"

"But I was nine years old!"

"But did you know what you were doing?"

(My daughter, Anna, said later that it was like a TV game show: Donald was the moderator— with all the answers and all the questions— and I was his contestant.)

Donald grew clearly weary (my answers tended to be long). "Let's concentrate on immorality," he said.

My daughter settled herself in with a pleased anticipatory sigh. She had spent much of the previous week airing her opinions on abortion (pro) and open marriage (con), and she was eager, I could see, to engage herself in what she assumed would be a freewheeling discussion of morality and mores.

Donald said to his wife, the tone of his voice straightening Anna's spine, "Lee, I'd like you and Anna to leave the room. I'm sure Anna would like to show you her bedroom."

Anna, a dutiful hostess, departed as gracefully as thwarted curiosity would allow.

"I have asked the girls to leave so that if you wish to confide your immorality to me, you can do so privately. I will pray over you, if you like, so that the Lord's spirit may return to you. "

When Anna returned, having stayed away for what she judged a decent interval, Donald was still discussing "rife immorality." Anna, grabbing her chance, offered, "Well, I kind of agree with you about immorality. I don't think anybody should fuck unless they really love each other."

Donald and Lee stood up to leave. Donald advised me that if I persisted in my course of action, I stood the risk of being disfellowshipped— like my friend Walter— "And then none of the Lord's people will ever be able to speak to you again."

Anna demanded, "You don't talk to Walter? But he's a good person. He's nice. That's not religion!"

Later she said, "They act pleasant. But they're not nice."

"Well, they're nice if you're one of them," I said.

"That's not nice," Anna said.

As Donald and Lee marched down the stairs, Donald called back over his shoulder, "Remember, we came here because we love you. We didn't come to spank you. We won't put in an official report on this. This was a friendship visit."

Three days later, Donald phoned. He proposed to visit with a committee of elders from the congregation to administer "spiritual discipline." I acquiesced almost hungrily. I had found my anger. And I wanted to know, What next?

I was convinced that this time they would inaugurate disfellowshipping procedures against me. I also felt that I needed protection, though I didn't know quite from what. I asked my brother if he would be with me when they came. My brother, though he wishes that I didn't feel compelled to write about the Witnesses, for our mother's sake, is absolutely decent and could not, furthermore, resist this "call upon the blood." He came and sat waiting, stern-faced, for whoever was to dare insult his sister. Donald came not with a committee of three, but with a single member of the headquarters staff. The agenda had been changed: no spiritual discipline, he said, just a talk. (Their motives and their actions were, and are, entirely obscure to me.) Donald asked my brother to leave the room. "Why do you need protection?" he asked. "What are you afraid of?"

My brother prevented me from having to answer. "I'm my sister's brother," he said, "and I'm not going anywhere. Anything my sister says, she says it to me too. Nothing she says could make me love her less. She's honest, she won't lie whether I'm here or not, and the two of you came together like two nuns, so I'm staying. Now what's your story?"

Donald offered a repeat of his previous performance. There were veiled hints of dire consequences if I did not "turn around and confess"; there was explicit spiritual blackmail: I would die at Armageddon. But Donald and his friend seemed to run out of energy; they began to talk about me in the third person, as if I weren't there. They started to preach to my brother.

He said, "Hey. You can't get my sister. So now you're hitting on me? Have some respect. You're in my sister's house."

They left. My brother and I looked at each other. "What was that all about?'' he said. I said I had no idea.

The rules—games—are often obscure. A young friend of mine left the Witnesses and made absolutely clear to them her determination not to return. She sent a letter announcing her determination to the Watchtower Society— which didn't deign to reply— and another to her local congregation. She did receive a certified letter from the local congregation, regretting that she no longer wished to join with them in Christian worship and indicating that they would respect her decision. The letter went on, however to state that the congregation had been informed that she had indulged in certain indiscreet actions of an unchristian nature (and that they had witnesses), and wished to meet with her to discuss the matter, giving a date and place for the meeting and urging her to reply.

(p. 154-158)

Excerpts from Visions of Glory index

A guest writes about Visions of Glory:

That marvelous book of hers, VISIONS OF GLORY, could very well have saved my life, more than once. Back in 1980, when I was, for the first time, studying VERY earnestly, my dad met me for dinner and brought up the subject of JWs. He and my mother were quite opposed and beyond frustrated, their bratty 23 year old daughter thinking she had ALL the answers. To make a long story short, he handed me this book!!! I never thought to ask him who recommended it, etc. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop, even as I found myself saying "baloney!", "not true!", "she's wrong!". She is such an excellent writer!!! I talked to my "friends" at the Kingdom Hall about this "disturbing" book, which they, naturally, attributed to Satan; still, I couldn't stop reading. So many of the words of ex-witnesses could have written by me; I'm getting choked up as I recall, more than 20 years later (I haven't seen the book for about half that long; my copy fell apart after repeat readings, and then I took it out of the library for the last time 10 years ago when I was a couple of months away from my baptism date), the story of the young Puerto Rican man breaking down in tears when asked how he felt at the thought of loved ones being destroyed at Armageddon (I hope you've read the book!)....and the young Russian woman named Vera, and the anonymous woman who expressed her feelings by saying, "all of a sudden I have these heavy questions....", "why DOES God permit suffering? Why, if he loves?", "Maybe God HAS taken his spirit away from me....." Anyway, I ended my association not long after reading THAT BOOK! After LOTS of tears, nightmares, talks with elders, etc.

Fast forward to 1987, newly married, restless, longing for "spiritual fulfillment" that I didn't find in my marriage; started studying again, stopped, started, got THAT BOOK out of the library, then, BAM! She's OUT, AGAIN, score one for SATAN!!!! :) Now to 1990; ecstatic new mother, desperate to stay married though I was miserable with my then-husband, turned to God, which I still thought was with the Witnesses, if he even existed. I got wrapped up in a study, meetings, etc., even though I came home in tears after repeatedly witnessing episodes of children being spanked, slapped, etc., trying with all my might to believe that God would give me the strength to die, or let my son die, before accepting a blood transfusion (I was thankful that my son's dad was "opposed", so that he could take over and authorize it, should my son EVER need it), hoping with all of me that my husband would cheat on me so that I could get a "scriptural" divorce, why, oh why did I need THAT BOOK??? Anyway, it was STILL in the Bloomfield library, waiting for me.... And that was the end of THAT!!!

Oh, by the way, I got divorced very soon after leaving. FOR GOOD. Until this past Sunday (1/14), when a lovely couple came knocking at my door, and I actually, for a number of reasons, felt a spark of interest; now that we have the internet, I don't need to stop at the library. Here you are!!!!! And here I am to THANK YOU!! And Barbara, do you know how I can reach her, or can you pass this along to her??? I'm so sorry that my dad passed away without my asking him where he heard about that splendid book!!!!

Sincerely,

Ellen

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Sorry, some of the links were wrong, these are correct:

These are the list of news, an article, and partial clips from the chapters of her book "Visions of Glory" by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison (1978: Simon and Shuster, now out of print):

Barbara Grizzuti Harrison, Author and Essayist, Dies at 67

What Could Be More Tempting Than An Exclusive Club Run By God Himself

CHAPTERS: (only partial clips from each chapter)

N. H. Knorr, Bethel, and Jews - Barbara was personally acquainted with the Watchtower's third president, Nathan Knorr. Knorr could be nasty.

God can't kill Arnold - Barbara discovers a man of real love for others and herself.

Bloody Religion - Barbara learns to walk a tightrope from an early age.

Celibacy - Witnesses frown on marriage in the 40s.

Masturbation - Barbara learns about "unnatural acts."

Transfusions - Vaccinations, transfusions, and the grief of a parent losing her children, then viewed as "apostate" for that grief.

Unevenly Yoked - Barbara's mother was a Witness, her father was not. What the "unbeliever" and the child go through in the process.

Charity and Goodness - Witnesses are taught to avoid the charities of the world.

The Yellow Convertible, and Mike - Barbara discovers the lack of joy in everything.

Bethel - "Nobody ever told me that all believers doubt, or that the logical consequence of the possession of free will is to question, or that even mystics have at times felt abandoned by the God they adore; what a lot of misery it would have saved me if someone had told me."

Leaving - "I could not foresee the consequences of leaving; but I knew that the act itself was necessary, that I must not try to anticipate the consequences, and that the consequences of not acting would be worse than anything that might happen to me afterward."

• Terry
    Terry

It just boils my blood when I read this.

I get that familiar knot in the stomach.

Ahhhggggghhh!

The leaders seem to know automatically, instinctively how to be cruel when somebody is hurting. But, being kind, supportive, humane is beyond their

ability!

I look at the years as a Jehovah's Witness as a kind of sifting process. If you are really fine on your own you slip through and come out whole. If you

are a clump; you remain!

• I quit!
    I quit!

Visions of Glory is my favorite book about the Watchtower in general. I don't know if you'll remember this Randy but Vision of Glory was going out of print when I first left the Witnesses. I purchased every copy I could from different bookstores. I believe you bought several of them from me. I think your roomate may have come down to my place to pick them up if I'm remembering correctly. For years I had two copies of it but a few years back I sent my second copy to LovesMeNot who posted an article on your site who I've know since I first got online.

I also have Barbara's book "An Accidental Autobiography" which also touches on her life as JW. It really bummed me out when I heard she passed away. She wrote with so much feeling. I think she was great.

• Violia
    Violia

I'm geting the book. I read the Wiki article about her and also what Randy has posted here. I could not help but notice the Gloria Steinem "look".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Grizzuti_Harrison

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

She is a model writer because she is a real person andf doesn't gloss things over. Also pretty funny. Look at her qualifications!

Randy

Journalism, travel writing and fiction

Harrison wrote for many of the leading periodicals of her time, including The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The New Republic, Harper's, The Atlantic Monthly, The Village Voice, The Nation, Ladies' Home Journal and Mother Jones magazine. Among the people she interviewed were Red Barber, Mario Cuomo, Jane Fonda, Gore Vidal, Joan Didion, Francis Ford Coppola, Nadia Comaneci , Alessandra Mussolini and Barbara Bush. Because of her background, Harrison was often asked to write about movements that were perceived to be cults; she described families affected by the Unification Church and the Northeast Kingdom Community Church, and reported on the U.S. government's deadly standoff with the Branch Davidians in Waco, Texas.

Harrison published two collections of her essays and interviews: Off Center (1980) and The Astonishing World (1992). Her 1992 Harper's essay "P.C. on the Grill", which lampooned the "philosophy" of popular TV chef The Frugal Gourmet, was included in the 1993 edition of Best American Essays.

Harrison also wrote numerous travel articles covering destinations all over the world. She published two books about her travels in Italy, Italian Days (1989) and The Islands of Italy: Sicily, Sardinia, and the Aeolian Islands (1991).

In 1984 Harrison published a novel, Foreign Bodies. She won an O. Henry Award for short fiction in 1989.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Wow, Randy, how long did it take for you to turn that book into a pdf file?

Did you have help with that task?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I'm not sure Randy is active anymore, at least on this site.

• blondie
    blondie

According to what I know Randy is about 69 and lives in California. I did a search and confirmed that to some degree. He was quite ill the last time he posted here but seems to still be living. I am almost sure this is accurate because my info lists his old website. I hope he is reading this and tries to make contact somehow if he wants to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit