Illustrations/Examples that teach?

by Vidqun 0 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

First of all, the CO uses the example of Moses to explain that a JW should not pursue higher learning. This application is wrong. As the son of Pharoah's daughter, Moses "was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians" (cf. Acts 7:22). He went through all that Egyptian learning institutions could offer. In fact he did go to "University" and remained true to his Jewish faith. In fact, the example of Moses encourages one to send one's children to university. Especially beneficial would be if they could study from home. Then it would be no different to sending them to school.

Secondly, in the Watchtower article "Are You known by Jehovah?" the example of Korah and his followers is used to provide "a serious warning for elders and others in the congregation today," thus encouraging all to show "humility and submission". But the way I read it, this was a coup d' etat in the making, and Korah and followers were killed for attempting to wrest power from Moses and Aaron. Very few would attempt a coupt d' etat in the congregation or organization, so the comparison is off the mark.

The TMS book, p. 240, warns: "Proper use of these teaching aids can enrich your talk, touch the lives of people, and make instruction memorable. Improperly used, they may divert attention from valuable instruction." I think both example "divert attention from valuable instruction." I call that sloppy research. Anymore out there that I might have missed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit