Baptism..Confused WTS Doctrine April 1, 2002 WT

by ISP 4 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Check out the 1 April, 2002 WT, page 11.

Christian baptism is not for everyone, Jesus ordered his followers: 'Go....and make disciples of people of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.' (Matthew 28:19, 20)Before being baptized, people must be 'taught to observe all things Jesus commanded his disciples.' Hence, forced baptisms of those lacking faith based on accurate knowledge of God's Word are valueless and contrary to the commission Jesus gave his true followers.-Hebrews 11:6.
    So far as baptism is concerned, the Matt 28 scripture as quoted by the article is a key text for dubs. It validates the WTS ministry and baptism. The article goes on to explain what being baptized in the 'name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit' means...kind of anyway.

What does it mean to be baptized 'in the name of the father'?. It means that the baptismal candidate recognizes our heavenly Father's office and authority...To be baptized 'in the name of the Son' means to recognize Jesus' office and authority as God's only-begotten Son....What is the significance of baptism 'in the name of the holy spirit'? This indicates that the baptismal candidates recognize that the holy spirit is Jehovah's active force, used in various ways in harmony with his purpose.
    So there you have it. The WTS has no idea what this baptism means. Recall the instruction by Jesus was to his followers who would take the lead in disciple making. They would teach these ones all relevant things which would surely include the basics about the father, son and holy spirit. So why bother mentioning anything else? Why mention baptism in the father, son and holy spirit? The baptizing in the name of the father, son and spirit pertains to the baptism and not to the teaching. It is clearly not a subject the WTS is comfortable with. In truth this additional baptismal instruction probably relates to a form of ritualism that the WTS disapproves of and so it tries to weave its doctrine the best it can around the objectionable matters...even if the results are unintelligible. Hey..it has lived by the 'weave' so why change?!

ISP

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I think articles like this are a direct response to the situation in Bulgaria/France/Russia and wherever else Jehovah's Witnesses haven't learned, after over 120 years, how to get along with their neighbors.

I also like the point that this is very misleading, because what is there in the post is not consistant with their baptismal rules today. (You will now be identified as Jehovah's Witnesses blah blah blah) I would love if someone would put up the whole article somewhere. AND the baptismal candidate statement.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks ISP, for your thought-provoking post and for keeping us up-to-date with the "increasing light" of the Watchtower.

I presume the article doesn't mention Peter's words: "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off - for all whom the Lord our God will call." - Acts 2:38,39

As you rightly state "It is clearly not a subject the WTS is comfortable with." How could it, when, as they have previously claimed, the New Testament is directed to "the 144,000" and not the 'Great Crowd'? Those to whom the words in the April 1st Watchtower are directed are excluded from receiving the Holy Spirit and so they will not recommend the words of Paul at Romans 6:3,4 "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into his death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life."

So on the one hand the WTS apply the scriptural 'quotes' to all those being baptized, whilst on the other hand denying that the great body of scripture in the NT applies to most of those presenting for baptism.

A case of "Now you see it, now you don't"!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day my beetle friend,

You asked: "I would love if someone would put up ..............the baptismal candidate statement."

Just for you:
    The first is:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
    The second is:
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• cecil
    cecil

interesting subject...
    Maybe it's relevant to know that in at least, 3 congregations that I have personal knowledge of, young peoples (14-17 years old) wishes to get baptized have been rejected by the elders in the last 7 months. The reason: They have to prove, that they have read the bible completely and they have to reach at least the amount of hours in field-service, that the congregation reaches in average. If they fail to qualify in these regards, they are not qualified for baptism... Sad to say, that this one is from real life. No joke!
    cecil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit