How do Jehovah’s Witnesses arrive at their explanation of the Bible?

by mankkeli 171 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

This explanation was taken from the reasoning book, page 204.

How do Jehovah’s Witnesses arrive at their explanation of the Bible?

A key factor is that the Witnesses really believe that the Bible is God’s Word and that what it contains is there for our instruction. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Rom. 15:4; 1 Cor. 10:11) So they do not resort to philosophical arguments to evade its clear statements of truth or to justify the way of life of people who have abandoned its moral standards.

In pointing out the meaning of symbolic language in the Bible, they let the Bible provide its own explanation, instead of giving their theories as to its significance. (1 Cor. 2:13) Indications as to the meaning of symbolic terms are usually found in other parts of the Bible. (As an example, see Revelation 21:1; then, regarding the meaning of “sea,” read Isaiah 57:20. To identify “the Lamb” referred to in Revelation 14:1, see John 1:29 and 1 Peter 1:19.)

As for fulfillment of prophecy, they apply what Jesus said about being alert to events that correspond to what was foretold. (Luke 21:29-31; compare 2 Peter 1:16-19.) Conscientiously they point out those events and draw attention to what the Bible indicates they mean.

Jesus said that he would have on earth a “faithful and discreet slave” (his anointed followers viewed as a group), through which agency he would provide spiritual food to those making up the household of faith. (Matt. 24:45-47) Jehovah’s Witnesses recognize that arrangement. As was true of first-century Christians, they look to the governing body of that “slave” class to resolve difficult questions—not on the basis of human wisdom, but by drawing on their knowledge of God’s Word and his dealings with his servants, and with the help of God’s spirit, for which they earnestly pray.—Acts 15:1-29; 16:4, 5.

• N.drew
    N.drew

When I began to have doubts of the understanding JWs have of the Bible and the scripture at Matthew 24:45 I voiced my concern. OK. But everyone who I tried to warn would say look up (whatever) the Governing Body deems necessary to know, and you will understand. Say WHAT? Let's try this from a different angle. I don't trust them! Answer? Did you read the Proclaimers Book? Ya, but, it's them who wrote it. Thus it was really me who also thought OMG Borg.

ps I know it wasn't me who first called the The Borg. And I had come to my conclusions about their error before I ever saw an opposing web sight.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I thought the troll was gone after that hate thread he made about OUTLAW...

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

james_woods - Warriors never shiver

• tec
    tec

A key factor is that the Witnesses really believe that the Bible is God’s Word

Well, there's a problem right there. Christ is the Word of God. Not the bible.

But in any case, the witnesses do not allow the Bible to provide its own e x planation. Or they would never have come up with Jesus being the Archangel Michael. They have come up with a 'theory' to assert that (as well as other things) There is even less 'evidence' as to that, as there is to Jesus is God.

Peace,

Tammy

• Terry
    Terry

1.Maria, wife of Pastor Russell, came up with the Faithful and Discreet Slave nonsense which proved useful to her husband, but, extremely useful to Judge Rutherford.

2.The bogus belief that it was God's "due time" has had proven results: all of them contradicting what JW's warned of in advance.

3.Cherry picking, partial quotes, context dropping, quote mining, exaggeration and misdirection are the foundational strategies.

In the 15 July 1906 issue of the Watch Tower Russell stated that Maria was the first who in 1894 "called attention to Matt. 24:44-45, applying it to me at a meeting at Allegheny and in another meeting with the New York Church. I demurred that I had not thought of the passage thus, and declined to make any personal application of it, although I could not deny the force of the argument....I urged great moderation in the making of any personal application" (p. R3811). Yet in the same issue Russell declares himself (with professed humility) to be "God's mouthpiece" with the unique role of disseminating God's truths as his "agent":

"I claim nothing of superiority, nor supernatural power, 'dignity or authority; nor do I aspire to exalt myself in the estimation of mv brethren of the household of faith....No, the truths I present, as God’s mouthpiece, were not revealed in visions or dreams, nor by God's audible voice, nor all at once, but gradually, especially since 1870, and particularly since 1880. Neither is this clear unfolding of truth due to any human ingenuity or acuteness of perception, but to the simple fact that God’s due time has come; and if I did not speak, and no other agent could be found, the very stones would cry out" (p. R3822).

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

tec - Where is christ nowadays if he claims to be the word of God?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    james_woods - Warriors never shiver

Actually, they do shiver when cold - but more to the point, trolls never shut up.

• tec
    tec

He is alive in Spirit, for one. He is with His Father. He is with those who belong to Him (as part of his body) as well. He listens; speaks; teaches; mediates ("No one comes to the Father, e x cept through the Son"); guides.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Mankelli, even the bible says that Christ is the Word of God. It does not say that about itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit