by MadApostate 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC., and
    WELLSVILLE, OHIO, CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, INC.,

Petitioners,

v.

VILLAGE OF STRATTON, OHIO, and
    JOHN M. ABDALLA, Mayor of the Village of Stratton, Ohio, in his official capacity,

Respondents.

This case is scheduled for Oral Arguments before the United States Supreme Court on February 26, 2002. The USSC's decision can take weeks or even months.

Here are some of the Amicus Curiae Briefs filed by those with interests in the outcome. One is "neutral", with the other three supporting the position of the WTS.

-----------------------------------------------

. http://www.cfif.org/5_8_2001/Legal/activities/Watchtower%20Amicus-Final.pdf

AMICUS CURIAE BRIEF IN SUPPORT OF WATCHTOWER ET AL BY:

CENTER FOR INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM

. http://www.epic.org/anonymity/watchtower.pdf

ELECTRONIC PRIVACY INFORMATION CENTER,

AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION,

AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION OF OHIO

14 LEGAL SCHOLARS IN SUPPORT OF WATCHTOWER BIBLE, ETC.

. http://www.brennancenter.org/resources/downloads/watchtower.pdf

BRIEF OF AMICUS CURIAE

BRENNAN CENTER FOR JUSTICE
    IN SUPPORT OF NEITHER PARTY

. http://www.lawandfreedom.com/constitutional/Watchtower.pdf

REALCAMPAIGNREFORM. ORG, INC.,

FREE SPEECH DEFENSE AND EDUCATION FUND, INC.,

LINCOLN INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH AND EDUCATION,

CAPITOL HILL PRAYER ALERT FOUNDATION,

U. S. JUSTICE FOUNDATION,

GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA, INC.,

CONSERVATIVE LEGAL DEFENSE AND EDUCATION FUND.

• MadApostate
  • MadApostate
    MadApostate

Well, the USSC hears this case Tuesday, but it will likely be some time before they issue their decision/opinion.

The vast majority of legal minds are expecting this to be just one more USSC victory for the WTS/JWs, so for someone to say "the WTS is going to win" takes no great effort.

HOWEVER, I AM NOT JUMPING ON THE MAJORITY'S BANDWAGON.

I have a gut feeling that the USSC is going to surprise folks on this one. Given the current "security" climate in the US, I believe that the Court will make a decision that will accomodate both the local governments' security interest and that of freedom of speech.

Possibly there could be fee-less registration of "groups", rather than of the "individuals", with groups issued "group ID badges", which they themselves are allowed to control.

In any case, I just don't see the WTS walking away with a clear victory on this issue at this point in history.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I believe this is a slam dunk for the Organization. Too much risk to political free speech for the Supremes to uphold the lower court decision.

I wonder if the constituents are going to be very happy with their Mayor. Thye've already had to pay $58,000.00 for the Organization's legal costs. The Supreme Court deal is going to cost them a whole lot more.

I thouht the Mormons filed an Amicus brief as well.

Check this site if you want to follow this.

http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/supreme_court/docket/2001/february.html

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Porkchop:

Actually, there are 4-5 other AC Briefs filed, including, yes, the Mormons for obvious reasons, a Baptist group, and others.

Why do you think that Stratton will have to pay for the WTS's legal expenses for this Appeal? They won't.

Like I said above, anyone who says the WTS is going to win is doing nothing but jumping on a fully loaded bandwagon. Yes, they may allow registration for "commercial" solicitors, while not allowing reg for "political" or "religious" solicitors. However, that would not stop the con-artists.

Again, I think the USSC may surprise folks. In addition to my "scheme" above, another one that would maintain anonymity would be to require reg with the City, with the City then issuing "numbered" ID cards to be carried by the registered solicitor.

We will just have to wait and see!

PS: FINDLAW is NOT as up to date with posted AC Briefs as is this thread.

• Scully
    Scully

Has anyone informed the Court of the WTS's propensity to use "Theocratic War Strategy" in order to further its interests in "fighting against God's enemies"??

While I agree that individual JWs have the right to exercise their faith by going door-to-door, I also feel that individual homeowners, tenants and other taxpayers have the right to deny JWs access to their property.

I also feel that individual homeowners, tenants and other taxpayers have the right to full disclosure from JWs as to their belief system BEFORE they agree to "study the Bible" with them. However, "Theocratic War Strategy" is in full use in this instance as well when JWs go door-to-door. It is only once someone is "hooked" on the "you can live forever in Paradise on Earth" schpiel that a person discovers that the price of admission to the Paradise is at the expense of the lives of 99.9% of the entire planet.

Love, Scully

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Mad you're right, since it's the Society's appeal, Stratton won't have to pay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit