Watchtower Alternate History

by ColdRedRain 4 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

After the events of 1975, a large section of Watchtower believers break away to the Dawn Bible Student movement, turning a once moribound religion into a major church claiming 250K members in the USA.

The New JW Dawn Bible Students learned from the mistakes of their former church and decide to disavow prophecy. However, a schizm forms between the new surge of members and the old guard when the new members clamor for their positions in their previous church. A few resent their rebaptisms and a schizm is about to form. "Jehovah's Bible Students" form in Southern California. However, the schizm is quickly healed when the DBS movement annonces a new chairman, Raymond Franz. He heals the schizm between the XJWs and the longtime dawnians and accept all baptisms from non-trinitarian churches.

A religious civil war ensues between the JWs and the DBS. The XJW Dawn Bible students manage to leak a few JW secrets to the media, while the JW movement plays defense and resorts to using lies and espionage on the Dawn Bible Student church. The Dawn Bible Students sue the JW church. The Bad publicity sends the JW religion into a freefall in membership. The JW membership is left with about 500K in the USA alone and 2M worldwide while the Dawn Bible Students have a membership level of about 300K in the USA and 900K worldwide. The Dawn Bible Students become one of the first churches to embrace the internet in the early 1990s, increasing their evangelical reaches further, increasing membership. The Dawn Bible Student Movement then starts making a play for disaffected Christadelphians and members of other cult-like churches, preaching a message of spiritual individualism.

The Watchtower starts dwindling in ranks and fizzles away by 2030.

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

Teary has to dispute those numbers that you give. I don't think that the DBS movement ever had anywhere near the numbers (or significance) you claim.

"Pocket Dictionary of North American Denominations 2004 p79 ed. Drew Blankman, Todd Augustine 'A smaller group rejected Rutherford's leadership and became the Dawn Bible Student's Association and in the late 1980s had a membership of about 60000.'"

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

It's not real history, I'm playing around with an alternative timeline to our own. I forgot to put in the introduction. The title should have said "What if there was a larger schizm after the 1975 debacle". But yeah, feel free to play around with Alternate History: JWD style!

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

Oh....its not real...now it makes more sense

And here Teary was really wondering about the whole "Ray Franz being head of the Dawn Bible Students" thing, since he had never heard that before!

• wobble
    wobble

I suppose in a way , I am glad that did not happen, I may well have joined a church headed by dear Ray, and still be in it to this day

I would rather be where I am at, no disrespect to Ray or DBS.

As with all history, it depends on such little things as to how things really turn out. It could have been a much bigger debacle for the WT if advantage had been taken by some other group, instead they were happy just to sit back and laugh at how silly the WT had made themselves look, and who can blame other religions for doing that ?

When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about "WT Alternate History=the Proclaimers book"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit