First transfusion of lab-grown human blood succeeds

by dgp 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• dgp
    dgp

First transfusion of lab-grown human blood succeeds

Source:

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/science-scope/first-transfusion-of-lab-grown-human-blood-succeeds/11374?tag=nl.e660

By Laura Shin | November 13, 2011, 11:48 AM PST

Healthcare advances mean that people are living longer lives than ever.

But with this progress comes a need that is often hard to fill: enough blood donations, or, in the case of countries suffering from the AIDS epidemic, enough donations of HIV-free blood.

That’s why some news from a lab in France is particularly exciting: Scientists have grown human blood in the lab and then successfully transfused it into a volunteer.

This step could obviate the need for blood donors and lead to a day when humans can create as much blood as is needed.

The experiment

Luc Douay, of Pierre and Marie Curie University, Paris, created the artificial blood using a type of stem cell that gives rise to different kinds of mature blood cells.

They extracted these cells, called hematopoetic cells, from a volunteer’s bone marrow and then put them in a growth-inducing environment until they formed cultured red blood cells.

They then marked the cells so they would be easy to trace and injected ten billion of them, equivalent to two milliliters of blood, back into the volunteer’s body.

The cells carried oxygen around the body as normal cells do, and survived at the same rate as well.

As New Scientist reports,

The cultured blood cells also gave every indication of being safe to use: they didn’t transform into a malignant cell type, for example. Instead, they behaved like normal red blood cells, binding to oxygen and releasing it.
    Douay published his results in the November 10 issue of the journal Blood.

The future of artificial blood

“This is a huge step forward,” Robert Lanza, the chief scientific officer at Advanced Cell Technology who was a part of the first team to red blood cells on a large scale in the lab, told the magazine.

The breakthrough comes after several unsuccessful attempts to create blood substitutes, that did not work well or were deemed unsafe.

“The results show promise that an unlimited blood reserve is within reach,” says Douay, referring to the increasing need for blood for transfusions.

However, we are still far off from a day when we can make as much blood as we like for all the transfusions needed. A normal transfusion requires 200 times the amount created in this experiment. And with the technology Douay used in this trial, he would need 400 liters of the fluid he used to culture those cells — a wildly impractical amount.

Douay projects that he will be able to improve the technology and bring it to scale within several years.

Lanza also told New Scientist that other types of cells also hold promise for generating large quantities of artificial blood: embryonic stem cells and stem cells from skin samples that are coaxed into becoming blood cells.

• dgp
    dgp

My take: I have the hope that soon the prohibition to "abstain from blood" becomes irrelevant to save lives.

I also have the hope that those responsible for the loss of so many lives are not allowed to get away with murder.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

This could turn out to be a good alternative to natural blood for JW's.

Bangalore

• james_woods
    james_woods

My take is that the Watchtower people will still say this is forbidden, because it is still blood and has not been poured out on the ground.

I think they are much too fond of the blood doctrine as an absolute control mechanism to just let go of it, even if this scientifically can be made to work in the future.

• wobble
    wobble

I think it will be great when this stuff is available, of course the DumbDubs won't be able to decide for themselves that it is O.K to accept, they will have to ask the old farts club known as the GB.

Whatever the WT comes out with, it should make a thinking JW (oxymoron) realise that the blood doctrine is total hogwash, or his god is non-existent, one of the two, if not both.

• Lore
    Lore

Leave it to science to fix the problems religion causes. . .

They then marked the cells so they would be easy to trace and injected ten billion of them, equivalent to two milliliters of blood, back into the volunteer’s body.

So these blood cells are made from stems cells in the bone marrow of the volunteer and then injected back in the same person.

I know that witnesses are not allowed to store their own blood for later use. Basically this is just GROWING your own blood instead of storing it. . . I doubt a lot of witnesses will see a difference.

• tec
    tec

Lore, I was thinking the same thing. Its still blood, just artificially grown. I would hope, for the sake of those still in the WTS, that they don't get that same understanding. Maybe someone in the lead is just hoping to have a reasons to say... look, you CAN have these blood transfusions; without also having to say that the org made a mistake before. Too much invested into the doctrine to be able to do that, I think.

Perhaps it will be a conscience matter.

Peace,

Tammy

• garyneal
    garyneal

I remember something like this was brought out around 2004 where blood was 'grown' from other blood. Ah, I don't really remember the details now but at any rate, my wife and I were studying with a witness then and she pointed out that that break through still used blood so a witness would not be able to use it.

I am kind of looking at this breakthrough in that same light. If the GB had even an ounce of sense, they would use this as their 'get out of jail free' card to finally get that blood doctrine albatross off their necks. The sad thing is that 7 millions dubs have to wait on what the GB thinks of this in leiu of using their own conscious minds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit