Faithful and discreet, maybe, but never humble

by dgp 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• dgp
    dgp

I was re-reading another thread (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/218101/2/GOVERNING-BODY-PICS) and I just couldn't help thinking that the Faithful and Discreet Slaves may perhaps be Faithful and Discreet, but they are certainly not humble. They let other witnesses treat them like special holy men. Not that I would have expected anything different from them, but I feel they should at least act otherwise for appearances' sake.

Would it be fit for the members of the board of directors of any big company (Enron, say) feel they have a special quality to them, one that puts them above all other humans, just because they approve things with two thirds of the vote?

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Faithful to the scriptures?..NOT! Discreet...hardly :). Haughty? Selfassuming? Puffed up with pride? An outward form of godly devotion? YES.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Balams ass: Ditto

• Joliette
    Joliette

Very true ;-)

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Hi dgp,

The only ones to blame are we ourselves, for allowing others to put men on a pedestal and agreeing without testing them. Those who have been around the block in this organization, know they are just men guessing and churning the Word of God. Men have been trying to project their own self grandiose image and others gladly will pay homage, for something unproven, just to feel like they belong in the group. Jesus said this about those Religious men who trampled the weak ones.

John 5:41

NLT "41 “Your approval means nothing to me, 42 because I know you don’t have God’s love within you. 43 For I have come to you in my Father’s name, and you have rejected me. Yet if others come in their own name, you gladly welcome them. 44 No wonder you can’t believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don’t care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God. [e]

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

AJ, I respectfully disagree with casting the blame on the victoms. Many of us who were born in were indoctrinated and kept in a bubble with the terrifying fear of doing or even thinking something that would make God angry. This daily conditioning came from the people we trusted most - our parents who themselves were convinced this was the truth. The more I understand the control that a cult has over people the less I blame myself and any individuals. It's like blaming kidnap victoms for not running away fom their captors.

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

3rd we both are in the same situation with regard to family and degrees of time spent. My Great Grannie converted Granpa who converted Mom who converted me. Mom was a different style JW, she was not a people pleaser and not afraid of any elder or CO. She belived in College and other things considered evil. The responsibility of putting undue or unearned homage to these men, is both our parents and our fault. What evidence did they offer to us, that merited them double honor or glory? Looking back now, this was like some M. Night Sham movie, "The Sixth Sense" "The Village" we had the clues but were to busy with the story telling and background noise, to figure out what was going on. Now we look back and shake our heads and say I Get It Now! I appreciate your posts and writing 3rd Gen, peace to you!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

3rdgen & Avocado-You are both so right. Also, nice to have you both here, sorry for the late welcome.

CJ

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The problem with this thread is that it assumes something which is not true: that there actually is such a thing as the Faithful and Discreet Slave. There is not.

It was one of Jesus' parables meant to emphasize the importance of Christian watchfulness. It was meant for each individual Christian to contemplate, not for the identification of some select group and with the mystical purpose of bestowing on them ecclesiastical authority.

Even still, as it is taught by the WTBTS it is a complete myth filled with incoherent inconsistencies. It doesn't take all that close an inspection to see how thin and empty this particular doctrine is. Frankly, it's surprising that anyone believes it, yet all of us were--and millions still are--captive to the concept at one time.

You might want to visit this tread for a recent discussion of that:

The Faithful and Discreet Slave - A JW Myth

• designs
    designs

In the same League as the Televangelists except the Evangelicals are even more Blunt in their demands for your Money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit