Witness to child abuse?

by Snoozy 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Snoozy
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

And finally some numbers you can call:

http://helpguide.org/mental/child_abuse_physical_emotional_sexual_neglect.htm

Snoozy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have a question concerning child abuse. Some of the most horrid experiences growing up were when my JW father told strangers how much he hated me and I was no good. My sister,by contrast, was the joy of his heart. She was better than an angel. He showed her favor. It was said to hurt me even more. It was one thing to hear it at home. I could cover it up. The world became my haven. His comments were so cruel. Teachers, overseer's wife, neighbors -- everyone acquiesced. No one challenged him. He was very big. I am furious at all the normal people who said nothing and witnessed the abuse.

I vowed I would never be such an adult. My neighbor is a strange mix. She visited me with her teenage daughter and announced what a potty mouth her daughter had. How she better cut out the potty mouth. The girl reacted the way I did. She smiled at me but it was not a true smile. I joked that she should not embarass her children, esp. in front a stranger. I tried to grasp for some way to signal my horror. Next, I also said, half-jokingly, that my parents did it to me. Despite their commentary, I've done all right. I felt if I directly confronted her mom in front of her that I would only add to the girls' discomfort. The neighbor just told me more tales out of school. She is not a family member or a close friend. Why should I care about a trait of her daughter's.

I am curious how others would handle the exchange. My overall feeling is that no matter what I said the situation was all wrong.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Band on the Run - I vowed I would never be such an adult. My neighbor is a strange mix. She visited me with her teenage daughter and announced what a potty mouth her daughter had. How she better cut out the potty mouth. The girl reacted the way I did. She smiled at me but it was not a true smile. I joked that she should not embarass her children, esp. in front a stranger. I tried to grasp for some way to signal my horror. Next, I also said, half-jokingly, that my parents did it to me. Despite their commentary, I've done all right. I felt if I directly confronted her mom in front of her that I would only add to the girls' discomfort. The neighbor just told me more tales out of school. She is not a family member or a close friend. Why should I care about a trait of her daughter's.

I am curious how others would handle the exchange. My overall feeling is that no matter what I said the situation was all wrong.

Hi (((((((((((Band on the Run))))))))), you did great!! At least you got involved without being confrontational. You cannot tell people how to behave nor how to correct their children. You can plant seeds of doubt and encouragement with humor and relating your personal experiences.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

BOTR - Personally I would have been VERY blunt to the mom. I would have said "is it normal for you to speak of your daughter's faults to complete strangers.....right in front of her.....yet pretending like she isn't even here?"

To be honest with you.....my dad was not a good dad when I was little. He got better as I got older. He was nothing like yours however. But he did seem to enjoy telling others of my faults.....or something stupid or embarassing that I did. He would not hesitate to call me names or rip into me in front of others. It absolutely crushed me. I wanted to cry but I dared not. Speaking from experience......I LOVED it when someone would get into an argument with him about how he was treating me. The more beligerant they were towards my dad the better it made me feel because it meant I had someone on MY side. Ultimately I knew in my heart that I shouldn't be treated that way....and it made me feel good that I could tell THIS PERSON felt the same way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit