How many?...

by tenyearsafter 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I couldn't find if this has been discussed in the past, but do we have any idea how many former posters/apostates from this forum have actually returned to the JW's? I am not talking about those that were reinstated for family reasons, but rather, those that actually had a change of heart and "repented" to become active JW's again? I can't imagine it is many, but would be curious if anyone knows individuals that have gone back because they truly believed again?

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Why, do you believe again?

• dgp
    dgp

I don't think there is any statistics on this, but it would be interesting to know whether someone who is fully aware of the truth would go back to the Jehovah's witnesses without needing to.

• erbie
    erbie

I haven't been for a long time but as time goes by I am more and more convinced that many so called 'apostates' do really believe it but rage against it because it has hurt them in some way. Catharsis I suppose.

And remember, there is a very fine line between love and hate. Many of us left because of individuals, not because we hated the teachings.

It's a very complex issue and I never take it, or people, for granted. In my experience you can never say that someone will NEVER go back because people change their mind for an infinite number of reasons.

I've seen people spitting fire at it one moment and then you hear that they have gone back and seem very happy and have continued for many years. This is why I am always careful what I say to people who have fallen away.

Nothing is cut and dried. Many people on this forum will return. Not today perhaps but certainly in the years to come.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to read but really, I've seen so many go back to the meetings. If it's what they want then who am I to stop them.

erbie

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

lilbluekitty...no, I am just curious if there have actually been any appreciable number that have returned because they felt it was the truth. I am not talking about people who have been reinstated for reasons of family, etc.

erbie...you are correct, the line between love and hate can be blurred. I don't know if I agree that most people leave because they dislike people...I think they are more likely to leave because of disenchantment with policies or teachings of the WTS.

dgp...I agree, and that's where I was going with the question. It would be fascinating to know if people have actually gone back because they "saw the light"!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I couldn't find if this has been discussed in the past, but do we have any idea how many former posters/apostates from this forum have actually returned to the JW's? I am not talking about those that were reinstated for family reasons, but rather, those that actually had a change of heart and "repented" to become active JW's again?

I can see where it would be easy to miss the warm and fuzzy feeling of the love-bombing. As long as you do not have the desire to pursue a lifestyle outside of the morality of the Truth (TM ) it could be easy to just try to enjoy the benefits and ignore most of the undesirable elements. I think more and more faders are doing just that. Why jeopardize yourself to "stand up" for issues that do not really matter to you? Just go along with the tide and ignore the currents that are disagreeable to you. Only if you are faced with a "conflict" does the sh!+ really hit the fan. Then you are FORCED to make a choice.

I know this thought will bring some venomous replies from some who have already had to face The Conflict in their lives. But, think about it, BEFORE IT hit the fan, isn't that what many of you did, whether you called it fading, inactive, appathetic, whatever. You just avoided the issues until they hit you broadside.

DOC

• wobble
    wobble

I do not understand how anybody could go back, or stay in, and feel they were an honest person if they had examined the religion in any way.

How can you support a shedload of lies, and have any personal integrity? Now I know that many stay "for family reasons", and I am not having a go at you guys, do whatever it takes and what you think best. You are engaged in under-cover work of the finest order.

But for a person who is not trapped in a Catch22 situation, knows TTATT , and stays or goes back, they must be some kind of weirdo masochist with no integrity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit