cult novelist writes about...........cults !

by wobble 5 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

The novelist and essayist Haruki Murakami wrote quite a bit, based on interviews he did with survivors and cult members, about the Aum sect, who released deadly Sarin nerve-gas on the Tokyo subway in 1995. His interviews and his thoughts appeared in English in the book "Underground".

He promised to return to the matter of cults in his fiction, which he has done in his latest work, IQ84.

In it appear two cults, one is "Aum like", with a very sinister leader, the other is a christian sect whose pamphleteering members refuse life-saving surgery and is called "The Society of Witnesses", I wonder who inspired the latter one ?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

How interesting.

Not surprising that he's writing about cults, as they say, "write about what you know".

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

That's cool I love - publicity

• coffee_black
  • wobble
    wobble

Thanks Coffee, thats where I culled it from, the good old Grauniad, and as said above, this is another piece of publicity that the WT will not like, but can do sweet FA about ! Its fiction !

The sad thing is that it won't reach any JW's I should think, not their kind of literature, and they would dismiss it in their minds, but it will re-inforce other readers views that Dubs are a dangerous cult, so may do abit of good.

• Voices
    Voices

WHAT?! you mean to tell me that the Jw religion is a CULT? ooooooooooooo i'mma hafta get all gangsta on their ass now.

they best hope I don't grow my jheri curls back!

Jheri

Me (but that's not me in pix)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit