An Australian Teacher Comments on WWC

by compound complex 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• compound complex
    compound complex

I am a registered teacher in Western Australia and I have a Working with Children's card, as is mandatory for all who work with children in most Australian States, i.e. Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, and Western Australia.

The WWC is more strict than the National Criminal History Check which many employers in Australia now insist on. The WWC considers not just convictions for child-related crimes, but also allegations, acquittals and spent convictions (where one is found guilty but no penalty is imposed). A worker with children who has had an allegation made against him/her is not necessarily denied a WWC card. But if there is a pattern of allegations, or "not guilty" verdicts, then the accused would almost certainly be denied a WWC and then could not work with children who are not their own in that State. The rationale is that the protection of children is paramount, and overrides the normal "innocent until proven guilty" principle.

The problem for the Watchtower is that Victoria (like Western Australia and presumably those other WWC States) has legislation that makes it mandatory for doctors, nurses, teachers and police officers to report to the relevant Department for Child Protection any instances of abuse (especially sexual, but also physical and emotional) against children that they become aware of, or have grounds to suspect, even when off-duty. Failure to do so carries major penalties.

So any doctor, nurse, teacher or police officer in an Australian State with WWC laws, who becomes aware that a JW child may have been abused, will have to report it, and then there must be an investigation of the allegations. A JW body of elders which then tries to cover that up, is going to find itself facing criminal charges and if found guilty, even if they escape a fine or prison term, will probably not be able to come in contact with children again who are not their own.

If child-beatings, emotional bullying, and sexual abuse are features of life behind the Australian "Watchtower curtain," then it is difficult to see how this `time-bomb' will not eventually explode into public knowledge. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the future!

Stephen E. Jones

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/216634/2/Victoria-Australia-WTBTS-and-GB-of-JWs-have-shown-themselves-to-be-GUILTY-respecting-previous-noncompliance-with-e2809cWorking-With-Childrene2809d-Laws

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wow!..

Thanks CoCo!..

That makes the WBT$..CriCriminals..

......................;-)...OUTLAW

• compound complex
    compound complex

You're welcome, OUTLAW. Thanks for posting.

JesusisYHWH deserves the credit for what is here his second post. This thread has been viewed many times; perhaps there will be more comments ...

CC

• smiddy
    smiddy

So every time they try to keep it inhouse so as not to bring reproach on jehovah`s name they will be breaking the law and can be charged with a criminal offence

That is truly" Good News"

smiddy

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Thanks for the info CoCo. I think this case has got some real potential to be very damaging to the organization. Think about it, all seven members of the Governing Body are being criminally charged. Holy crap. I hope this gains some worldwide attention. SNAP might be a good resource in helping to publicize the case.

SIAM

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, smiddy and SIAM, for lending support to this thread. It is much appreciated. You, as well as Stephen Jones, have made some excellent points. As Mr. Jones has clearly stated, the protection of children is paramount.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

No wonder they didn't want jws to have to get the cards. All of the skeletons are going to start falling out of the closet at the same time! It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks!

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

A few months ago I was employed as a Teacher Aide in a school in Queensland (Aust) and on my first day of employment I was required to apply for a Working With Children Card. I also had to do a course in Child Protection as my position requires that I have a certificate in Student Protection Training. As part of that course we learnt that any form of abuse such as mentioned by JesusisYHWH in the above post must be reported. It was emphasized many times that even if you just have a suspicion that a child has been abused in any form or is at risk of any abuse you must act on that suspicion.

With so many eyes and ears watching out for kids today it will be harder and harder for the WTS to cover up and hide abuse of JW children.

Hopscotch

• talesin
    talesin

tx for posting this, CoCo

t

(note: I was a trained crisis intervenor working a rape crisis line, and during our training we were instructed by the RCMP that failure to report is a criminal offense in Canada.)

• sizemik
    sizemik

Thanks for the post Coco . . .

I did read this on the other thread . . . from a poster who joined a year ago and is making only his second post! Good self-control.

It does deserve further comment . . . coming from a true "insider"

Personally I feel there is a Media shitstorm on the horizon for the WT$ . . . this will only grow. The "bomb" is indeed ticking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit