Zen Living part 23 (summarized): Loving Kindness: What the World Needs Now

by JimmyPage 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Love really is the answer. Zen living reveals that loving kindness, compassion, and the desire to relieve the suffering of others emerge naturally from a Zen practice.

As the world experiences struggle, conflict, and pain, Zen living can teach those who practice it how to release fear, hate, and the delusion of difference.

Loving kindness can heal emotional, political, social, and spiritual separation.

We can help spread strength, power, and unity through loving kindness by practicing mindfulness every day.

• poor places
    poor places

Jimmy Page,

I find your post extremely interesting because I've been reading up on Buddhism a bit lately. I've read a book called The Modern Buddhist Bible and a couple of books by the Dalai Lama. And I agree with a lot of what is written in these books. It seems that Buddhism is about transforming one's mind to develop compassion and love, while rooting out negative qualities like hate and jealousy.

My question for you is about practicing Buddhism. How can I start developing more compassion in my life through Buddhist practices? What is a good way for me to start? The books I've read mention meditation as a key to developing these qualities more fully, but I don't really know how to meditate. Do you recommend attending a Buddhist center and meditating with a group? Do you think it's possible to develop these qualities by meditating alone? I'm kind of in the dark about what to do. I would just like to become a more loving person, but I don't seem to be making much progress by myself. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I'm all for Zen, but the philosophy of Buddism and the reality of it as a practising religion are 2 different things.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Poor Places, recently I have been reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. One of the things that struck me right away was that he did not put Buddhism into the same category of offending religions like Christianity and Islam, but rather considered it to be more of a philosophy.

Like you, what I've studied about Buddhism has brought me great peace. My recommendation would be to go back and read all the previous threads about Zen living if you haven't already.

I really appreciate the fact that Zen philosophy is not rigid but can be molded to fit your life in your own personal way. Try meditating both on your own and in a group. Find out what feels best for you.

I absolutely do believe it is possible to develop these qualities on your own but for some a support system of peers may be more helpful. Keep reading and applying all you learn.

Namaste.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit