Goodreads - New World Translation

by MissingLink 4 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Goodreads is a website where you can keep track of the books you've read, review them, and compare with friends.

I've published a review of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. There you'll also see a very clever rebuttal to my review IN ALL CAPS no less.

What are your thoughts on my summary? I'll put the text below.

This is actually a collection of books put together by the Catholic church about 300 years after the last characters in the stories had died. It's in 2 major parts.

Part 1: The Old Testament
    This consists of myths mostly copied from the myths of other primitive cultures. The original versions of these stories had many gods, but these had been edited out for the most part in an effort to rewrite history by people who were embarrassed by their polytheistic past. I think this is a shame since the polytheistic stories are more entertaining. The main god who made the cut was "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" who in the original versions was the character of the God of War. This character like similar god characters is jealous and cruel. He delights in death and has no problem with genocide. One part that makes these stories hard to read is that women basically had about as much rights as animals, and the characters were not at all bothered by the death of women.

Part 2: The New Testament
    This section is mostly about one main character - a half-human demigod who claims to be the son of the god of war from part 1. These stories were written by a few different authors agree very little on the actual details of the story. This demigod character shares some of his father's traits, but is much milder tempered. I think the worst attribute he shares with his father is his racism. He would only share his message of salvation with people of his own nation (Jews). He felt that people from other nations were beneath him. But after he died, a man who had not previously met him came along and decided to make a franchise out of this demigod story, and he spread it to non-Jews (claiming that the ghost of the demigod told him this was OK). Part 2 is not nearly as gruesome as part one, but the stories aren't very entertaining either. Mostly squabbles between the demigod's followers. The only highlight is the trial and execution of the main character and subsequent zombie invasion of the city (this part is sadly glossed over for the most part). And there's some apparently drug induced hallucinations at the end which have disturbing imagery, but no substance.

I find it funny that most people who love this book, and there are many, have never actually read it. Having an old fart tell you what a book is about does not count as reading it.
  • blond-moment
    blond-moment

I have read Johannes Grebers book, and compared his New Testiment to the NWT. His NT was translated by spirits. It was really freaky to read the doctrine I grew up with in his book, and see all the major changes in the NWT in his version of the NT. Very scary stuff. NWT is a joke. Even if you think the bible in general is a joke the NWT is a joke joke haha.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Well-written summary. You nailed the common style. Can;t you post the ALL CAPS rebuke?

I use Goodreads.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I'll write a bible translated by spirits.

In the beginning there was beer, and the beer was good. Then the liquor came and the liquor was hard but also good. The end is not coming.

I'm wasted!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    I have read Johannes Grebers book

What book is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit